Sign in to follow this  

XL600 -83 Weird stator readings

Hi, I'm building a tracker/scrambler bike from an old -83 XL600. I'm reasonably handy but I have very little experience with motorcycles. Yesterday I was measuring the resistance of the stator coil just to check if it needed to be replaced as I've read that they often burn. Anyways, in the Haynes manual it says :

Charging coil (pink-yellow) : 0.95-1.29 ohm,

Lighting (yellow/white - gnd) : 04 - 0.55 ohm,

Exciter (black/red - gnd) : 230-320 ohm

My values

Charging : 1.4 ohm

Lighting : 0.7 ohm

Exciter : 1205 ohm

Apparently my exciter value is completely off - what does that mean? I thought the resistance would be lower if the stator has burned and short circuited ? The values I got was read from the connector that comes out of the stator housing on the left side of the engine.

Thankful for any thoughts and input on this!

Ps Of course the obvious question is Does it start and does it run well ? As the whole bike is in pieces I cant answer that, but it was running fine before I took it apart 😉 Ds

I'm not sure why its that high. I have an 83 xl600 that has no spark. I have a post up on here about my problems. Anyways, my stator tested at over 700 ohms. I rewound it and have it at 250 ohms with no spark still. Either way I'd be curious of the answer to this as well.

Oh, another thing is mine ran pretty good and then I parked it for almost two months. Then I tried starting it and discovered it had no spark. Maybe these stators are becoming possessed while being out of service. Lol

My bike was running fine last summer when I bought it, then it has been lying around in boxes out in the garage until recentIy when I finally got around to continue the project. When I opened the stator housing for the first time last week some oil poured out - which is perfectly normal from what I gather. I also checked the pulse generator connector coming out of the CDI, the manual says blue/yellow and green/white should read 510-570 ohm, mine reads at first about 1400 ohm, then goes to infinite. However the black/red and green reads a stable 530-540 ohm...

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here but I dont know what, thankful for any thoughts and input on this!

Regarding the stator being possessed, I dunno about that. My dog is sensitive about those things. I'm leaning towards it being depressed, tomorrow I'll bring it to the local nudie bar to see if it helps.

Hmm.. measured the cables coming out from the pulse generator (instead of the ones coming from the CDI) and got 380 ohm. Still, the manual says 510-570 ohm so it still seems to be off..

Yeah my pg is at 400ish. I'm using an analog so it's hard to read exact numbers. My lack of spark has had me stumped for a couple of months now. I rewound my stator with improved results on the ohm reading. I ordered a used cdi and then a new one. Still no spark. I've had a new cdi for awhile. So I know that's good. Now I've ordered a used working stator to see if maybe my rewind didn't work. If I still have no spark with the stator that I've ordered then it must be the pulse generator. No one seems to have much info on the pulse generator. So maybe once I get mine figured out I can provide more info of what readings I have and what turned out to be the issue. Sounds like we have similar readings so far.

Oh, I meant to say I've had a new coil for a while. Not "I've had a new cdi for a while".