Sign in to follow this  

SSR 125 vs DX3

Hello,

I am new to the forums, so I would like to say hello first. My name is Brandon, and I love to ride!

However, I am interested in purchasing a pit bike for some good summer fun! I am on a slight budget, and I am trying to get the best bang for my buck.

I have chosen between one of the SSR models, either the SSR SR125, OR the SSR DX3. They are both the same price. After reading some reviews, it looks like the DX3 is more favorable than the 125. How so? The DX3 has the smaller engine, so it should be less of a bike you would think. I do know that the DX3 has a better exhaust out of the package, also.

Does anyone have either one of these that could maybe help me on deciding on which one to go with?

All help is appreciated,

Thank you much! 🙂

I actually have both of those. The only difference is the dx3 has a smaller black wheels. In the motor department there is no difference, they both feel the same power wise. They were both great bikes for the first couple weeks. Problems with the dx3 where constantly blowing out rear tubes because of no rim lock and pretty much every nut, bolt, piece, etc, fell off the bike. The SR125 on the other hand never had a single problem until the motor blew up. Dont know if its a common problem or not. If your looking for something for the summer either one would be a good choice.

I got a used SSR125 for under $400, they are a good deal. But if you do any real off roading or jumping with it, the bike kind of falls apart and you will be replacing parts and alot of bolts. I would recommend buying better quality hardware, use loctite and on some parts use anti-seize. I've had to EZ-out and re-thread a few bolts on it because the threads are crappy.

These things can be upgraded for very cheap, lots of CRF50 parts fit the SSR125. I searched online and got a tall gripper seat kit for $40, new front brake $60, 2 new tires $40, plastic kits are very cheap and any CRF50 exhaust and graphics fit this bike.

The motor is very reliable, tranny is clunky but works, suspension and swingarm are nice. These bikes are good for "pit bike" street riding and messing around on. Not a lot of power, I think a KLX110 is faster.