Sign in to follow this  

wr250f my first ever oil change

Hi guys this as probably been asked before but i will ask the questions anyway. On my wr250f 2006,

Managed to drain oil and replace my filter. I have added 1300ml of oil to the bike. started bike let it run for a rew mins, now i left it cool.

How should i be checking the oil level on the dip stick. put the dip stick into the hole pull out and check ? or screw dip stick in then unscrew and check ?

Should i check oil level on the bike using bikes side stand or up straight resting against a wall.

Gary

Edited by corsasri

You're overcomplicating this. If you drained both the frame and the engine, plus removed the filter, and if you poured the oil into the filler, then forget about checking the oil level- it's full. For future oil level check, run the engine a couple of minutes, shut it off, and then remove the dipstick to check the level.

The manual for my yz250f specifically says to not screw in the dipstick, just insert and remove. i'd suspect it's the same for the WR.

When checking the oil level, the bike is straight up-and-down, not leaning to the side.

You need to run the engine for a couple of minutes and then shut the engine off in order to get an accurate reading on the dip stick (I like to check mine immediately after I'm done with my ride).

If you don't, it will read as if the oil level is too low, even if there is enough oil.

That's because over time, oil drains from the tank.

You do not screw the stick in, but simply push it in as far as it will go without threading it in - that's how all Japanese bikes are with their dip sticks as far as I know.