Sign in to follow this  

DRZ-E to SM. Cast or wire wheels?

This might sound redundant, but Im getting my '01 SUZ DRZ 400 E model plated, and i would like to know, whats better? spokes or cast wheels?

E and sm swingarms look different but the same size rims fit. The issue with cast is the cush drive. I say spoke because they are usually a little lighter and look better to me. 4.25 to 4.5 width rear will cause you a lot less headaches. If you try to run a 5 you will have very little clearance and have to offset to the brake side most likely.

I thought the 5" wheel setup had a little more clearance on the SM swingarm? I know they will fit the E with a little chain rub. I've been searching like mad as I want to SM my KLX and I'll probably end up going with an Epic Motorsports kit when I have the funds.

I thought the 5" wheel setup had a little more clearance on the SM swingarm? I know they will fit the E with a little chain rub. I've been searching like mad as I want to SM my KLX and I'll probably end up going with an Epic Motorsports kit when I have the funds.

I get chain rub on my 4.25 on my bike. Its a fact of life. I run the factory SM chain guide over the front of the swing arm. It has to be modded slightly to fit the S/E swing arm because there is a weld in a different spot. That will keep the chain off the tire if you run a 150. If you run a 160 you will get a little. 4.25 is a great size, easy to install the rim into the swing arm and enough traction for the street. I wanted more tire on the track but the DRZ is too heavy, the motor(rotating assembly) is too heavy etc to dump money into making a race bike out of. And a fat sticky slick on the back of a modded drz is a bit too much tire for mid 40hp. Stock its way too much tire.

Stock SM rear rim is 4.5" by the way. The drz swing arm is bigger than some MX arms. I ran a 5" rim on my rmz450 which barely fit and i had lots of chain rub on the tire. I run a 5.5 on my ktm. The drz sm has an rm 'style' swing arm BUT the rear hub on a drz is wider than that on an rm/rmz.

So a recap, you can run a 160 on a stock drz sm with little to no chain rub. If you run one on a 4.25 without the chain guide you will get rub. Run one with the chain guide and you might be okay. Lots of people have put 5" on the back of a drz, im sure a search will bring it up. Unless you have a 50hp + drz or you are racing SM with it there is really not much need for it on the street from my experience. Just make sure to run an SM specific tire and you will be fine.