Sign in to follow this  

TT-R50 Shifting Issues

I recently bought a 2013 TT-R50 for my six year old son. The bike runs great except that he can't shift it on his own. I even have a hard time shifting it from neutral to first and other gears while I'm riding it. Sometimes I have to use my hand to get it to shift. I talked to the dealer who said that is the nature of the bike and there wasn't anything they could do. They also said the gears are really sharp and because of that it has a hard time engaging, but over time the gears will wear down and it will be easier to shift. Has anyone encountered this problem and been told the same thing? I'm going to talk to another dealer to get their opinion. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried to change the angle of the shift lever? If memory serves, I had to adjust both the brake lever and the shifter on my 4 yr olds 50 when I installed some training wheels. By angling the shifter down a few degrees it may help increase leverage on the shifter. Does your little one have mx boots? Because my son has difficulty shifting if he isn't wearing something super sturdy. Good luck!