Sign in to follow this  

Leaking gas, &%$#@!?

2002 S-model, 57K miles on it. Just filled the tank with gas and tried to start it up to go for a ride. The engine turned over but it wouldn't fire up as usual. I noticed a drop of gas on the concrete below the bike. Gas was oozing down the outside of the fuel line and dripping to the ground. I wiped it up and no more gas would ooze out. When I cranked the engine again, gas would start to ooze again. When the engine finally started up, gas would ooze out even faster. I don't know if I was just imagining it, but it seemed that the gas would ooze out faster if I gave it some throttle-up. It looked as though the gas was coming out of the body of the fuel valve. Has anybody seen such a thing? What evil and sinister forces have possesed this old piece of crap?

Your oem vacuum petcock has gone to Boot Hill. Replace with a manual petcock like a Raptor or Pingle. Also check your oil for gasoline contamination, if present, change the oil/filter. Also you carb needle and/or seat valve body O-ring have failed allowing the fuel to gather in the cylinder...replace.

• Like 1

Being an '02 it is unlikely you have a vacuum activated petcock, regardless it does sound like the fuel valve is kaput (or the tank is rusted out around the sealing point) and yes check your oil for contamination....

Edited by Mad Dogg W

2002 S-model, 57K miles on it. Just filled the tank with gas and tried to start it up to go for a ride. The engine turned over but it wouldn't fire up as usual. I noticed a drop of gas on the concrete below the bike. Gas was oozing down the outside of the fuel line and dripping to the ground. I wiped it up and no more gas would ooze out. When I cranked the engine again, gas would start to ooze again. When the engine finally started up, gas would ooze out even faster. I don't know if I was just imagining it, but it seemed that the gas would ooze out faster if I gave it some throttle-up. It looked as though the gas was coming out of the body of the fuel valve. Has anybody seen such a thing? What evil and sinister forces have possesed this old piece of crap?

The Evil force of Corn Juice ?

The Evil force of Corn Juice ?

Yep Insidious syrup that should only be ground up for bovines. So with all the rain "they" are predicting a bad corn crop which equals higher prices. I just love paying higher prices for something that clogs my carbs. I think a running bitch slap is in order for that first guy who suggested we put this crap in perfectly good petrol.

MD...no vacuum on the '02?? I did not know this....

• Like 1

MD...no vacuum on the '02?? I did not know this....

I am 100% sure that it did use a vacuum petcock on this model.....

Yep Insidious syrup that should only be ground up for bovines. So with all the rain "they" are predicting a bad corn crop which equals higher prices. I just love paying higher prices for something that clogs my carbs. I think a running bitch slap is in order for that first guy who suggested we put this crap in perfectly good petrol.

The main fuel type in Australia atm is non ethanol....I pray everynight before I go to sleep that this is how it's going to stay (at least in my lifetime anyway..lol)

I do feel for you guys having to put up with that crap.....

BTW....I don't really pray every nite.... :bonk:

It shows part number 44300 29F10 for all '02's but I can't tell if it's vacuum or standard by the crappy IPL pic.

It shows part number 44300 29F10 for all '02's but I can't tell if it's vacuum or standard by the crappy IPL pic.

Same part no. for 02' and 12' model..... :D

I can't imagine using fuel with that Disgusting Corn juice , it's rare that we have to do a carb clean .. Here ..( Down Under )

Yes, when I have had serious injury the bikes have sat with fuel in them for months ....Fired up no problem after a couple of cranks..... 👍