Sign in to follow this  

Clutch spring sag. How much is too much?

Are my springs too short?

According to the Haynes workshop manual, the spring length for the clutch on my bike ('06 CR250) should be 45.7mm. All of mine of mine measure 45.0mm. The manual is generally great and normally gives a limit value for wearing parts but I can't find a limit tolerance anywhere in there for minimum clutch spring length.

Can somebody tell me how short a spring needs to be before it can be classed as 'sacked out' and in need of replacement?

The service limit is 44.7mm. New OEM clutch springs are so cheap that I would go ahead and replace them.

Better yet, do what I do and add three CRF450 springs to three stock CR250 springs to result in outstanding clamping pressure and a slip-proof, fade-proof clutch. This comes at the expense of additional actuation force at the clutch lever (stiffer lever), but the tradeoff is worth it. (for me anyway).

Order three (3) CRF450 springs. Honda part 22401-MEN-A30

and three (3) stock '06 CR250 springs. Honda part 22401-KZ3-690.

Stagger the springs during installation.

Each spring is about $3 at PowersportsPlus. Your local dealer might be slightly higher.

CamP is right. Even if you decide to stay with six stock CR250 springs, they are so cheap- why even bother thinking about them? Just replace.

Just be sure your clutch hub is not notched, your pressure plate is not grooved, warped, or worn, and your clutch basket is not notched or loose- or the entire exercise will be a moot point.

Edited by APBT

Thanks for all the prompt advice gents.

The original reason I pulled the clutch apart was because my gear oil was turning grey after only an hour of use and I wanted to check that the alloy clutch components were ok even though the clutch still operates perfectly. Upon inspection, everything appeared fine with very little wear and all components measured up fine except for the spring length which is not surprising and I suspect would be considered normal as it is an '06 model and has been sitting in a shed for years. (possibly also the reason for grey oil if alloy oxide has grown on the exposed parts of the plates whilst in storage?)

I've put everything back together for now with some fresh oil and if it turns grey again my next move will be to purchase a set of replacement steel plates and springs as you guys suggested.

Thanks for all the prompt advice gents.

The original reason I pulled the clutch apart was because my gear oil was turning grey after only an hour of use and I wanted to check that the alloy clutch components were ok even though the clutch still operates perfectly. Upon inspection, everything appeared fine with very little wear and all components measured up fine except for the spring length which is not surprising and I suspect would be considered normal as it is an '06 model and has been sitting in a shed for years. (possibly also the reason for grey oil if alloy oxide has grown on the exposed parts of the plates whilst in storage?)

I've put everything back together for now with some fresh oil and if it turns grey again my next move will be to purchase a set of replacement steel plates and springs as you guys suggested.

I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the grey oil, my bike has a new steel clutch pack, inner hub, wiseco basket bearings and all and it still came out dark grey after an hour of running with maxima mtl80. I think it is just a combo of friction plate and steel/aluminum plates, I really don't believe that steel plates are going to keep that oil clean.