Sign in to follow this  

kickstarter decompressor timing 85 XR600

After neglecting my poor Pig in the middle of open heart surgery for 2 years, I'm finally putting Jane back together! I had to do a rebuild after twisting the oil line. New top end, piston, etc. I had her put all back together once, and it was really hard to start. When I kicked it, I heard a clunk. When I took it apart to investigate, I found the lobe of the kickstart decompressor had broken off. Aparently I didn't have it put together correctly. I have a new part, and want to put it back together. Is there something I need to know about the timing of this decompressor?

I don't know..Have you got the manual..??If no I will provde you with a url to an XL600 manual,,more or less the same setup as an XR I'd imagine..From my glancing at said manual it looks straightforward enough to me..One problem I did have with one of my XLs with the same setup was the bottom part by the kicker got somehow wonked up twice with two different clutch covers when I was reinstalling the clutch covers,,both ended up smashed in areas around where that arm goes in ..After that debacle and my not being able to figure out why it was occurring I got another case and got an engineer to remove the arm and plug the hole where the arm goes in with a metal plug..I now only use the hand operated decompressor to start my bike or bikes when I had more than one..

Edited by Horri

Thanks, Horri. I have a manual, but it's for the newer XRs, so the decompressor is different. I appreciate the link for the appropriate manual. My manual works for almost everything else, but not this part!

http://www.hondaxl.it/manuali.htm

K,,above is a link to the manual..You want to download all the parts to the "Inglese" XL600 one..Once you have them all you'll need to go through it and find the section on the head/valves,,decomp bits in there..It's not organised properly as in names of sections when you get the bits so you'll need to go through each section and rename them so you can find things a bit more easily.Just make sure you leave the .pdf at the end after you rename the sections..Open with Adobe,,or Foxit in Windows or Okular if you use Linux..

Edited by Horri

I want to thank you again for the link to the manual. It showed me exactly what I needed. Just line up the punch mark on the cam with the punch mark on the shaft. Doesn't get much easier than that! Hopefully I'll be up and running this weekend!