Sign in to follow this  

New guy... New bike.

Hello all my name is Adam and i am brand new to the sm game and man am i loving it. I recently purchased and brand new 2013 drz400sm. I have to say this is the best handling bike i have ever ridden. I came off of an 08 r6 and there is no comparison between the two. The drz handles so much better it blows my mind every time i go out and push it. I have about 800 miles on the bike now and have made a few modifications so far.

drc edge tinted tail.

acerbis sm fender

zeta brake hose clamp

driven 16t sprocket

bar mirrors

I also am waiting on a trail tech 2 head lamp to show up.

My very near future plans involve an mrd/ssw, jd jet kit, and 3x3. ( should be ordering in the next couple weeks)

I also removed the stock mirrors, turn signals, tool bag, and chain guard because who really needs all that bs.

Well now that I've introduced myself and the bike here are some pirtures!

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2275.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

• Like 2

I hope you didn't ride through the water on that up-side-down road !? Up-side-down roads are EXTREMELY dangerous when flooded !! 😛

Welcome to the family.... :ride:

• Like 2

Add the MCCT to your list , do it now while its new .. I suggest

Check the valve clearance for future reference .

Grease the steering head , swing arm and linkages .

Fit FCR carb 94mm big bore ... Consider stroker crank , wild cams , porting .. Race fuel ...... Sorry , got carried away

I hope you didn't ride through the water on that up-side-down road !? Up-side-down roads are EXTREMELY dangerous when flooded !! 😛

Welcome to the family.... :ride:

haha no didn't ride throught the upside down rode but two mimi vans did :banghead:

Add the MCCT to your list , do it now while its new .. I suggest

Check the valve clearance for future reference .

Grease the steering head , swing arm and linkages .

Fit FCR carb 94mm big bore ... Consider stroker crank , wild cams , porting .. Race fuel ...... Sorry , got carried away

i had a really bad mcct expirence on my r6 (couldnt get it adjusted properly) so Im a bit leery at this point but may consider it in the near future. I would like to do all the listed modifications lol but i have a pretty good warranty on the bike that i dont want to void.

Gotta ask.... where at in virginia? im in the new river valley myself...

I live in Salem. Where are you?

Don't waste money on a jet kit for the stock paperweight ......The 39 Fcrmx carb is the go....... :applause:

I've been looking at 39mm fcrs but i just dont have that kind of cash to drop on a carb at the moment. Dose anyone know why they are almost $600?

haha no didn't ride throught the upside down rode but two mimi vans did :banghead:

i had a really bad mcct expirence on my r6 (couldnt get it adjusted properly) so Im a bit leery at this point but may consider it in the near future. I would like to do all the listed modifications lol but i have a pretty good warranty on the bike that i dont want to void.

I live in Salem. Where are you?

I've been looking at 39mm fcrs but i just dont have that kind of cash to drop on a carb at the moment. Dose anyone know why they are almost $600?

Edited by vagrantidol

You can get the carb with jets for $400, then you have.....

.....to rebuild the entire carb' and argue with and absolute slime bag about whether or not you caused the damage to the carb.

DO NOT BUY A USED CARB FROM THE GUY LINKED ABOVE !!!!!

Edited by Mad Dogg W

.....to rebuild the entire carb' and argue with and absolute slime bag about whether or not you caused the damage to the carb.

DO NOT BUY A USED CARB FROM THE GUY LINKED ABOVE !!!!!

Those are used? If that is the case, I will remove that link.

KeihinFCR.com (Christos Kaiafas) is a total and utter SCUMBAG and the only person in my 40 years of life that has ripped me off cold.

I have his home address saved specially for my next visit to the USA.....

• Like 3

Those are used? If that is the case, I will remove that link.

Thank you for removing his link vagranidol, the thought of anyone here stumbling into his trap without warning makes me shudder.... :worthy:

KeihinFCR.com (Christos Kaiafas) is a total and utter SCUMBAG and the only person in my 40 years of life that has ripped me off cold.

I have his home address saved specially for my next visit to the USA.....

I have heard some Horror Stories about this Fellow

• Like 1

Bolt on 3 to 4 hp is the reason... $200 a HP is good value

Yeah , that's good HP fed straight down your motor's Throat

Don't waste money on a jet kit for the stock paperweight ......The 39 Fcrmx carb is the go....... :applause:

+1

• Like 1

Salem?! No shit! Im right down the road in christiansburg! Finally someone nearby! We willl have to go ride sometime!

I Finally got the 3x3, jd jet kit and mrd/ssw on and man did it bring the bike alive. I am still fine tuning the carb but i think i have it pretty close.

My current settings are 25 pilot jet

kientech fuel screw 2 turns out

160 main

red clip position #3.

My only complaint is a lack of top end power. The bike seems to flatten out. It has been very hot and humid here in va so thats my reason for choosing the red needle. I am considering going to position #4 on the needle but am currently undecided. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am at about 900 ft elivation.IMG_2316.JPG

My issue is at wot. The bike just doesn't seem to pull as hard as it should to the rev limiter. Low speed is great and it has loads of torque down low.

That's a great looking bike, and a wicked lid, too. What is it?

Thanks alot man on the compliment and its an icon variant. Its an awesome helmet and you dont get distortion in the visor like a lot of the other helmets of this style.