Sign in to follow this  

Spark arrester

What are y'all's thoughts on the spark arresters as far as leaving them in or taking them out on a motocross bike..450s..just looking for the pros and cons and what everyone's opinions are on the subject

Leave it in. 450s make plenty of power already.

Does it even really make a power difference?

What's the pros and cons of both leaving it in and taking it out tho?

I plan on leaving mine in was just curious what personal opinion and facts there are about the subject. My bike is already loud enough with the aftermarket dr.d

well... for motocross bikes, there are people out there who literally swap out each and every bolt for titanium, to drop 5 pounds off the bike.... so yeah, the extra 2% of power you MIGHT feel from removing the spark arrestor, it's worth it to some, but honestly, if it has a built in spark arrestor, just leave it in.

Mine has one in it but it has an Allen key to take it out..I have always left mine in but I ride with some guys tht swear it makes a big difference if u take it out. As soon as they get a new pipe in they take it out and throw tht piece away lol

DO you EVER ride in an area that requires a spark arrester? Well, then, don't throw it away. Next, are you at the top level of your class and maybe in a close points race for a season championship? No? Then the horsepower lost is meaningless. The only thing you might gain is a little extra noise but we ALL know, the noisier it is, the faster you will go.

If your going to take the time to take it out for the extra HP then you should polish your chrome muffler bearings!

Here in SoCal you will be castrated, bitch slapped, and your momma talked bad about for not using a spark arrestor! This place burns on its own!

Seriously though, unless all you do is race for money then does it REALLY matter?? 450's make enough power that 99% of riders are not able to use it all! But....on a smaller engine it does make a big difference like on my sons KX65, on his bike I would lean toward a 10% loss when using the spark arrestor.

• Like 1

if you are riding in a area the requires you to have it... well you better have it or have the cash to pay the fine....if you get caught. In Oregon it is $200 i think, maybe more.

I ride with one on the trails, otherwise at the tracks or private land I take the stupid thing out, one screw on my bike and I wish I never had to use it because it robs power. I notice a huge change in power when I ride with and without it.

If your going to take the time to take it out for the extra HP then you should polish your chrome muffler bearings!

Here in SoCal you will be castrated, bitch slapped, and your momma talked bad about for not using a spark arrestor! This place burns on its own!

Seriously though, unless all you do is race for money then does it REALLY matter?? 450's make enough power that 99% of riders are not able to use it all! But....on a smaller engine it does make a big difference like on my sons KX65, on his bike I would lean toward a 10% loss when using the spark arrestor.

+1

In CA you'd be a fool not to have one. Just leave it in!

Yea I plan on leaving it in and all I ride is track and its not required but I dnt want the added loudness lol...was just curious about what everyone thought...and maybe solve some of the myths on taking them out..like gaining 10-15% hp and on and on...thanks everyone for the input...I knw some ppl swear up and down tht they can tell a difference with it out

Considering that it's actual function is spark arrester and the fact that the western HALF of the U.S. is tinder-dry and ready to explode, it

really seems like a good idea to leave it. Can you imagine seeing a report about a forest fire on CNN and they have traced the origin to a DIRT BIKE EXHAUST!

Nothing like getting some bad PR!

Depending on the bike in question, and the pipe in question, leaving the spark arrestor in may actually give you a better power band. Max HP does not always give a better ride, or a faster ride. Todays 450s have more power than most anyone can use. Getting the power so it is usable is a good thing.

• Like 1

Yea I plan on leaving it in and all I ride is track and its not required but I dnt want the added loudness lol...was just curious about what everyone thought...and maybe solve some of the myths on taking them out..like gaining 10-15% hp and on and on...thanks everyone for the input...I knw some ppl swear up and down tht they can tell a difference with it out

The only sure bet HP gains is either stickers and/or cool graphics, preferably anything Metal Mulisha or some type of energy drink!