Sign in to follow this  

KTM Recall

Better late than never, but never late is better. And now, a public service announcement...

Edited by Cold Smoke
  • Like 1

This is very, very old news.The recall was back in April. It has been taken care of on all the bikes that had not been sold yet by the time of the recall. I have several friends that have bought 2013 KTM 2T bikes that were all fixed before they were purchased.

Better late than never, but never late is better. And now, a public service announcement...

I like your post better then the OPs!

I like your post better then the OPs!

So much I did it twice!

Edited by originalmonk

I ignored it on both our 2013's KTM's have had throttle issues for years if you don't safety wire the cable

I ignored it on both our 2013's KTM's have had throttle issues for years if you don't safety wire the cable

I just purchased a 2013 KTM 250SX from the US but live outside the US so Ill have to perform this fix myself, can you provide me with some details on how to do this? That would be much appreciated! Thanks!

The recall has nothing to do with wiring the throttle cable!! The recall consists of new parts for the throttle housing. The cable can come off of the pulley in the housing and get stuck there. You need the new parts to fix it.

The older KTMs had a throttle cable that was easily pulled out of the cable ends. Safety wiring it helped to prevent this from happening. My 2013 has the cable firmly attached to the ends. I suppose it can't hurt to safety wire it anyway but it isn't as necessary as it was for the older ones. But this has nothing to do with the 2013 throttle recall.

Edited by Badunit
  • Like 1

They say "ignorance is bliss" and I'm certain that in many cases it's true, but I don't think this is one of them. Listen to what Badunit is telling you and get the recalled part (throttle housing) replaced on your 2013's and forget about safety wire on the 2013 throttle cable.

This is very, very old news.The recall was back in April. It has been taken care of on all the bikes that had not been sold yet by the time of the recall. I have several friends that have bought 2013 KTM 2T bikes that were all fixed before they were purchased.

I agree just thought I would share the information for those who bought their bike before the recall came out.

Edited by ktm450ds

FWIW, even if you purchased your bike after the recall release it's worth it to check your VIN with the dealership to verify it. I bought mine June 8th and found out after the fact it had not been done. Not saying anything bad about my dealer, but things DO happen. It's worth a phone call to make sure. I also had them provide me with a printed record of the recall completion for my records. Good records = higher resale value down the road.

Please do yourself a favor if you are not worried about the throttle issue that they are having and check yours over well. I know some of you think that hitting the killswitch or grabbing the clutch is a no brainer when it goes WOT, but it can happen so fast and in the worst places nothing can be done in time. I do not claim to be a pro by any means, but I have been into mx racing my entire life and I now lay here after 5 days in the hospital a broken femur, broken back, and several broken ribs. I had the recall work done at a KTM dealer, when the 2013 bike had less than 2 hours on it. When I got it home, I looked it over, geared up, and was trying it out on the practice track that I have on my property. All was going fine for about ten minutes, then after landing a double just before a downhill run, the KTM just went WOT in 3rd gear! Over backwards I went, then a whole bunch of tumbling. I have never had a bike get away from me that quick before! Thank God that I had decided to wear ALL of my gear!

I have not seen my bike since my kids wheeled it into the basement, but they said that there looks to be no major damage to it anywhere. Now I wish I had done some more research and maybe gone with the Honda cable and a stronger return spring on the carb. I will heal to ride again, but not sure if my mind would let me ride an orange maching again.

Please be cautious and check yours out real well.

Please do yourself a favor if you are not worried about the throttle issue that they are having and check yours over well. I know some of you think that hitting the killswitch or grabbing the clutch is a no brainer when it goes WOT, but it can happen so fast and in the worst places nothing can be done in time. I do not claim to be a pro by any means, but I have been into mx racing my entire life and I now lay here after 5 days in the hospital a broken femur, broken back, and several broken ribs. I had the recall work done at a KTM dealer, when the 2013 bike had less than 2 hours on it. When I got it home, I looked it over, geared up, and was trying it out on the practice track that I have on my property. All was going fine for about ten minutes, then after landing a double just before a downhill run, the KTM just went WOT in 3rd gear! Over backwards I went, then a whole bunch of tumbling. I have never had a bike get away from me that quick before! Thank God that I had decided to wear ALL of my gear!I have not seen my bike since my kids wheeled it into the basement, but they said that there looks to be no major damage to it anywhere. Now I wish I had done some more research and maybe gone with the Honda cable and a stronger return spring on the carb. I will heal to ride again, but not sure if my mind would let me ride an orange maching again.Please be cautious and check yours out real well.

Yikes! Glad you are "ok". I had mine done at 2 hrs or so too. Any idea what stuck? Bad cable or spring?