Sign in to follow this  

Motovan Yay or Nay?

So lately I have been thinking about all of the times that a motovan would make my life 10X more kickass. I could sleep in it after parties (possibly with females). I could sleep over at races, which I usually can not do. I could bring my bike with to college since it wont fit in a dorm. I could store it inside at home since my dad makes me keep it outside. My shit can be loaded and ready at all times.

However, there are a few things that I am concerned about:

• How bad is the gas mileage in an econoline E150? Be honest if you know..
  • What is people's most common reaction driving a big ass van as your daily driver? (Mine will not have the stock look)

So if any of you guys have a motovan that is your daily driver, tell me if you think it is a good idea or not. Does putting cool rims and tires on it help with the creeper factor? I might have to take it to a sign shop to put some moto stuff on the side to make it not look like a work van. I want some experienced opinions on the subject before I dive into ownership of one. I can only have one vehicle at a time so it would be my daily driver.

Edited by dirtjumpordie
  • Like 2

I think rims and tires and possibly a slight lift kit with some sponsor or company logos. I thought about getting one too when I get older and have it as a second vehicle besides an F150 or Just a pickup for my daily driver. I'd look into one if I were you.

the mpg on them isnt all that good, like 15 miles to the gallon i think, and if you dont have windows than youll only be able to look back with the side mirrors

other than its a good idea, be ready to spend some $$$$

the mpg on them isnt all that good, like 15 miles to the gallon i think, and if you dont have windows than youll only be able to look back with the side mirrors

other than its a good idea, be ready to spend some $$$$

What do you mean spend some $$$? is there more to it than van+Rims+tires+Logos? I'm here to learn so whatever ideas people tell me I want to hear.

What do you mean spend some $$$? is there more to it than van+Rims+tires+Logos? I'm here to learn so whatever ideas people tell me I want to hear.

actually thats what i meant,rims tires decals...

you just might end up spending more than you thought on those things

I love mine. You get use to not looking behind you and its no big deal. Its nice to have a wall to break up the cab and the bed so you dont have to smell the chemicals. A nice bench seat and well I dont see anything else. I have a e250 4.6 v8 that gets the same mpg as my 1/2 ton chevy with a 4.8l v8. Racing is much nicer. If you dont race it might be over kill but maybe not if you plan on doing some overnight and cross-country stuff. I absolutely love the motovan and its nice getting ready the day before and just jumping in the next day and not worrying about weather or someone stealing things out of it.

actually thats what i meant,rims tires decals...

you just might end up spending more than you thought on those things

Yeah I know how that goes. I am being pretty careful about my budgeting for this. I can get a van pretty cheap from a friend, Im digging pretty deep for cheap rims, though. I know I am going to have to spend a little cash, though.

Edited by dirtjumpordie

So we're down to one problem.. Gas mileage. They get shitty gas mileage. I suppose the car that I am driving now gets 17 mpg in town.. but then it gets like 27 highway.

I was looking at a 14" used U haul truck for mine..lol Comes with a ramp, a top section that can be formed into a sleeper area, and more than enough room to hold tool box, tire racks, generator, 3-6 bikes, and enough room to be comfortable..Issue a well..Gas, they gulp it down..lol

What about the new style ford is coming out with similar to the sprinters?

Sounds like this is a younger buyer, he wants to use it for college. Don't think he wants a $300 monthly payment with a E150 costs less than 3,000 in excellent condition..haha

• Like 1

Sprinters are crazy expensive.

I've seen a tons of used ones on craigslist from 5,000-10,000. I've considered ditching the trailer and getting one for doing trackside support.

I would love a motovan. Google it dude, there are alot of people that describe their conversions of vans into motovans. It's going to be at least 1k on the interiour alone. You need to build supports, carpeting, shelves, bed, insulation, electric, possibly a compressor, or a generator, or extra battery if you want to live in it, bike stand, extra walls, all sorts of junk.

Also, you'd need some kind of improved security system if you're keeping thousands of dollars of gear in there, 24/7. Expect to dish out some cash on that.

Additionally, you seem vain enough to worry that it's not a creeper van, so expect to dish out a couple thousand on lifters, better rims/tires, if you want the least creeper van do an A team paint job!!!! get a deisel that way if anybody calls it gay you can smoke them out!

Also- It's YEA or Nay not yay or nay....

Edited by ahaussman123

I would love a motovan. Google it dude, there are alot of people that describe their conversions of vans into motovans. It's going to be at least 1k on the interiour alone. You need to build supports, carpeting, shelves, bed, insulation, electric, possibly a compressor, or a generator, or extra battery if you want to live in it, bike stand, extra walls, all sorts of junk.

Also, you'd need some kind of improved security system if you're keeping thousands of dollars of gear in there, 24/7. Expect to dish out some cash on that.

Additionally, you seem vain enough to worry that it's not a creeper van, so expect to dish out a couple thousand on lifters, better rims/tires, if you want the least creeper van do an A team paint job!!!! get a deisel that way if anybody calls it gay you can smoke them out!

Yeah well, it is my only vehicle, so that means girls have to be okay with it, or I will be a pretty lonely guy all throughout college lol. My security system will be the doors being locked and I am not planning on living in it. Id be okay with camping in it a little, but I don't think I would need more than an electric fan and an airbed for that. Also, the van I am looking at getting has been a motovan for the past 8 years, it's only thing missing is the rims/tires.

Does anybody know where/how I can get a better rim/tire look for less than the cost of motometals and MTs? I just need a noticeable improvement, nothing super flashy.

Does anybody know where/how I can get a better rim/tire look for less than the cost of motometals and MTs? I just need a noticeable improvement, nothing super flashy.

Summit or ebay your best bet