Motovan Yay or Nay?

yeah I wouldn't go as low as $1,000 unless I knew the person who was selling it and it was a steal. $2k can get you a non-junked econoline around here, though. Supply and demand. Nobody wants a 2wd raper van around Wisconsin apparently so that means they sell for cheap lol.

are the sprinters 2wd or awd? that would be so worth the extra cash if they were awd. also, how do people make the curved plywood walls you see in the videos of the motovans???

yeah I wouldn't go as low as $1,000 unless I knew the person who was selling it and it was a steal. $2k can get you a non-junked econoline around here, though. Supply and demand. Nobody wants a 2wd raper van around Wisconsin apparently so that means they sell for cheap lol.

Man! The only van you can get around here for around $2k is pre 2000 and has 300k+ miles

Man! The only van you can get around here for around $2k is pre 2000 and has 300k+ miles

Yeah I suppose $2,000 is a little bit on the low side, but I found a 2001 4.2 6 cylinder van with 102k miles asking $2700. I bet I could get it for $2400. I thought that the 4.2L v6 would get noticeably better gas mileage than the V8s, but it turns out they get worse gas mileage.. I guess it all comes down to how much the vehicle weighs.

Yeah I suppose $2,000 is a little bit on the low side, but I found a 2001 4.2 6 cylinder van with 102k miles asking $2700. I bet I could get it for $2400. I thought that the 4.2L v6 would get noticeably better gas mileage than the V8s, but it turns out they get worse gas mileage.. I guess it all comes down to how much the vehicle weighs.

That's a good deal if it's mechanically sound.

Just a thought, IF you decide to do a motovan, DO NOT.....I mean DO NOT advertise what is inside that van! No reason to...the only people that would truly care are the ones that will take your stuff from you for "free". Just do a cool stripe of some sort and figure out a way to chain/cable your bike to the van.

Here is a good place to buy wheels...don't forget to add center caps and lug nuts to your order.

I'm not saying that's a bad idea, but I'd prefer for my van to look like moto van and not a creep van. I think a few decals and a FMF sticker over the emblem isn't that bad. Just keep your stuff secure.

I think that's asking for trouble. 6 riders are right. There are plenty of theives in the world, and even a hint that you have something valuable in your car is enough for theives to get at it, and they will! even fellow dirt bikers can be theives, it's sad but it's true there's never a 100% good group of people there are always bad eggs, and they can &%$#@! you over if you don't take the proper measures to prevent them from doing so.

I have been stolen from and cheated by rando's, and people who i thought were good, along with people I thought I could trust! don't give anybody who could &%$#@! you over any sort of edge.

Edited by ahaussman123

I have some experience in motovans.

First, I see alot of people complain about fuel mileage, its the same as a full size truck. My 2003 e250 gets 17/18 mpg on the highway, same as my 2011 silverado got.

I wanted to make mine look all cool with some decals and rims too, like the ones Ive seen on here. Ultimately I decided against it since the reason I got it is so my bike and gear is safe at hotels when Im traveling. If I see rims my first thought is theres a dirtbike in it. So think about that.

Im 27 and not trying to pull ass these day (married). My first van, I think it was a 87 chevy g20 that I paid $700 when I was 22 attracted a shit load of girls! A nice car is a small part in getting ass. If your a looser, your still going to be a looser if you have a nice car.

Another reason vans are awesome is cause they are about half the price of a comparible truck. I got my 2003 E250 extended with a 5.4 V8 and power window/locks, with 130k miles in great condition for $2,900. I already had a wall in mine cause the previous guy hauled bikes too. I simply bought a fold down bed for it for $40, and now im set!

Taking my van on a 500 mile round trip this weekend to race!!

1-14-2012001.jpg

I drive mine pretty much daily, 50 miles a day round trip, 5.3 Express AWD. The MPG's are comparable to a full size truck, that's the only bad thing. On the bright side though, it sure is nice to have a comfy place to catch some z's at lunch in case the prior night involved a few too many beverages. Do get a few creeper comments but whatever, vans rule!

Edited by lseann
  • Like 1

I've been driving a kidnapper van for the past 15 years as a daily driver, I also have an F350 diesel and it gets a bit better mileage than my van but it's easier to park and stuff in the van. I first had a 1998 Chevy astro that I almost put 300k miles on it, had to finally get rid of it last year and it was a pain to put a bike inside so I just used a motorackjack. I now have a 2010 E150 and it has lots of room and gets about 15mpg - 18mpg on the freeway, I still need to finish the inside (it's a cargo van) to get it set up but first thing I did was an alarm, I spent the $$ on it with remote start, 2 way paging, and extra sensors since it's so long.

I am also looking for a van I have had a full size truck 2 ford ranger extra cabs and jeep cherokee and have come to the conclusion that since I can realistically only have one vehicle it is going to be a van set up to carry 4 people. I can transport the bike or lumber from the hardware store and the mileage is not any worse than the F150 or the ranger I currently have. I say go for it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I put a couple of hundred thousand miles on my E150 hauling bikes to tracks. My wife used it as a daily driver during the week. I got 20 MPG on the highway with bikes and tools in it. Have no idea what it got in town. It was the 300 six with a four speed manual. It was "Chateau" trim, which meant insulation and panelling and carpet, not empty like a plumber's van.

In Fords, you want the long wheelbase, but not the extended body (15 passenger van-size). The short wheelbase doesn't hold enough stuff.

If you want to be able to keep your moto in your van at school and not have it stolen, don't make the van look all fancy with moto stickers. 

If you want to pull quality chicks, have confidence in yourself and don't be a douche.  Thinking that your car has anything to do with it is a sign of low confidence and a bit of a douche signifier.

My motovan is creepy looking, which actually adds to its appeal (to me and my friends) and is a good conversation topic.

If you want to be able to keep your moto in your van at school and not have it stolen, don't make the van look all fancy with moto stickers. 

If you want to pull quality chicks, have confidence in yourself and don't be a douche.  Thinking that your car has anything to do with it is a sign of low confidence and a bit of a douche signifier.

My motovan is creepy looking, which actually adds to its appeal (to me and my friends) and is a good conversation topic.

You have never seen my car lol.  Its pretty bad heres some background information.  1996 Avalon with 230k miles.  The exhaust has fallen off of the manifold twice.  Theres a really bad clunking in the rear suspension, 3 of the 4 speakers are blown AF, the previous owner got T-boned and never fixed the passenger door, the leather on the back seat is fubar because somebody sprayed 409 cleaner on it, and the radio is missing 60% of its buttons, and there is no A/C.  I got it for $600.  It is definitely a piece of shit lol, but yeah I agree with you that it has little to do with getting girls.  They don't really give a shit about it as far as I can tell.  Now that Im out of highschool it doesn't matter really

Edited by dirtjumpordie

Spot on Man.

Cars dont get you laid. I think when I had a van from the 80's it got more chicks than when I had my 2010 Camaro SS. The kind of girls that flock to a expensive car are not the ones you want to mess with anyways (atleast not for more than one night).

• Like 1