Sign in to follow this  

Cargo truck for race events?

So, we just had a great topic about Motovans. And I brought up I've been looking at used U-Haul trucks. Has anyone seen this done?

I've found some great condition 04-06's with 160k on em for less than $3,000. Considering U-Hauls records on providing reliable trucks their truck maintenance has to be pretty spot on. I've done a few cross country moves and can't say I've ever had one break down on me.

Was looking at the 14 footers. They come with that over roof section that would make a great "sleeper" area. Not to mention a load/unload ramp is built into the truck, and enough bed space/tie down locations I could secure 3-6 bikes, tool box's, generators, storage racks, and gear.

Anyone ever seen this method used? I know milage will be terrible (8-13MPG) But my series I race are all within a couple hours drive so I don't expect to worry to much. The savings on hotels would pay for it's self in the long run. Just interested to see if anyone has seen this? Been in Japan since I started dirt riding, so..We don't got big trucks..ha!

Out here people do that all the time, not sure about buying from U-haul but a lot of people run the box trucks, saw one today at the track. I've seen some really cool set ups with living quarters in the front and a garage in the back. Seems like a badass set up.

My personal opinion is that people do stupid shit when it comes to vehicles! I'm only 31 but when I was a kid whe we would go to races and just sleep under the truck, get up, go race and 90% of the time win! Now I see guys with multiple bikes, huge toy haulers, enclosed trailers, extra sets of everything......and they enter the D class....

Like honestly, why would you need 3-6 bikes? Or a generator? I have never brought a generator to a race....I drove 10hrs to Washington to race this winter over 5 times. I took 1 bike, a extra tube front and rear, a standard size tool box, a airfilter and some extra engine oil, and my gear bag, that was it! In 5 races GP races I placed 4th, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, and 3rd in Open A.....loaded the crap back in the truck and drove 10hrs home....

The maintenance on large vehicles is ridiculous. You would be lucky to get 10mpg on that thing, tires wear out faster, parts are more expensive to replace etc etc. And to top it off you have to spend $3k minimum up front for the purchase and another $100 or so for insurace every month. What a waste of good money on something that really won't do anything for you in the long run. Its been shown that if you aren't in tent now and have stayed in hotels, you will go back to hotels soon enough!

Buy a little car, a trailer and go race! You will save a fortune, have money in the bank and will be able to look back and really appreciate riding and racing.....

Rant over...

Edited by originalmonk

Out here people do that all the time, not sure about buying from U-haul but a lot of people run the box trucks, saw one today at the track. I've seen some really cool set ups with living quarters in the front and a garage in the back. Seems like a badass set up.

Well, the old ones from U-Haul will be pure white. So they don't have the paint. That's mostly what I was planning. Have a 50/50 setup going. Of course it would also take me a year or so to finalize it, but didn't know how "common" or uncommon these where.

It could be done. But as a fleet mechanic I will say this, we only get rid of units that are unreliable.... keep that in mind.

Spend your $3000.00 on enclosed trailer. Does same thing and won't need engine maintained etc.

It could be done. But as a fleet mechanic I will say this, we only get rid of units that are unreliable.... keep that in mind.

Spend your $3000.00 on enclosed trailer. Does same thing and won't need engine maintained etc.

Yea, good idea except you need to have a vehicle to tow said trailer. I own 6 motorcycles..My car is not really the most amazing piece of engineering. It's a 05 Ford Tuarus SEL. Great car for driving to work when it's snowing or terrible weather conditions that make it unsafe. But I mostly 90% of the time ride a bike. So I don't have a truck like many or even a SUV..lol

I can understand what your saying. I'd clearly have it inspected by a certified mechanic before I toss my money into the breeze. But they also go on sale when they update their fleets. Consider I'm looking at the early 2000's they are vastly different compared to the current model. Though your information will be used! I'll have it looked at carefully.

• Like 1

"Buying a used rental vehicle is kind of like going to a house of ill repute looking for a wife. Anything that's been driven that hard by that many people, you really don't want to put your key in it." Jeff Foxworthy

That said, I've had the 'privilege' of experiencing firsthand what 'quality' rigs U-Haul has operating in their fleet, I can't imagine what level they have to drop to before they're sent down the road....

Rented one to help a friend move, it was about a 30 mile move. Took 3 trips, so maybe 225 miles with pickup and dropoff? Now, I know the oil was plumb full when I picked it up, checked that myself. Rental place employee chewed me out for not maintaining oil level...it was 3 quarts low upon return.

And the thing was a PITA to start-took alot of cranking to finally get the fires lit (diesel, warm day, I think the motor was just flat worn out).

When I turned wrenches for a living, we saw alot of U-hauls come in, mostly it was 'just get it running/moving', they never wanted to fix any of thing the problems that weren't run-and-move related, such as oil leaks, glow plugs, brakes, suspension or steering related.

Penske and Ryder, however, seemed to take alot better care of their stuff, and updated their fleets before the value of their old equipment had dropped below that of scrap metal weight.