Sign in to follow this  

Weird Plastic Thingy

2003 XR400. I'm trying to figure out what this weird plastic thingy is or what it's for. There is a harness coming up through the triple clamps then on to the headlight. It has a green wire and a blue wire with connectors going to the headlight. There is also a wire that feeds out to the kill switch. Well, just under the trip meter this harness is supported by a bendable clamp. Where the bendable clamp grabs the harness there is an H-shaped piece of plastic taped to the harness. I noticed it because the tape was coming off and flapping around. I was going to tape it back but was wondering what the heck that thing is for. Seems useless, I was thinking about tossing it because I hate gummy electrical tape. Can anybody look at their bike and see what they think that thing is for? Thanks - I just gots to know...

Something else to add: You can see what I'm talking about if you look at a parts list. It's item number 7 on the wire harness page of the parts fiche for the 2003 XR400. On the far left of the harness near the end you can see the H-shaped thing (looks like 2 little pointers but really an H shape with tape over the middle.

It is a clip taped into the harness to help keep the harness in place. The bendy clip under the meter wraps around it, and the "H" shape keeps it from slipping side to side. I guess you wouldn't NEED it, but it might be saving the harness a ton of abrasion every time you turn. 👍

IMG_6898_zps45731385.jpg

Yeah, I suppose you're right. It must be there just to keep the strain off the wire. I guess I'll just retape it in place. Thanks a lot.