Sign in to follow this  

Finally got to ride it!

This is just outside of Munds Park - about 17 miles south of Flagstaff, AZ. As you can see, I made a few new friends...

I bought this about 2 months ago and, between a leaking waterpump and local temps over 100 degrees, this past weekend was the first time I've really had a chance to ride it much. I learned a few things. First of all, with size 14 AlpineStar Tech 7's, the stock shifter was nearly impossible to up-shift. I did a lot of heel shifting. Secondly, as I currently tip the scales somewhere above 250 (my goal is to be down under 220 by November), I really need to do something about the suspension. Third, I've seen quite a few posts about how uncomfortable the seat is after long rides and thought, "Seriously? How bad can it be?" After just a few hours, I think I was starting to feel the effects (even with my, um, "extra" padding) - my apologies to anyone I doubted! And lastly, this is the first bike I've owned since college - many years ago. This almost 50 year old body needs to do one he!! of a lot more stretching before riding than it used to. Two days post ride and my lower back is still killing me!

The DRZ was bone stock when I bought it from the original owner. I should have a MSR +1" shift lever here by the end of the week, but all I've actually added to date are the TT case savers and a Trail Tech Vapor - much more waiting to be done!

IMAG0585_zpsa395f24c.jpg

IMAG0584_zps1f1aeddc.jpg

• Like 1

Not too far behind you at 230. Someday I will pony up and get the suspension done, but so far all I did was set it up for max fat azz. I have built my own seat using gel, which worked perfect on my Roadking. But it did not help at all on the Z so I bought the Tall Seatconcepts which is only a little wider then stock. When I was not happy with the SC and for a few dollars more I tried the Fisher big Fish which is 12" wide.....huge difference. SC makes a great seat, but it is more for the average azz. For a {cought} larger one{cough} unless the seat is wider your hip bones hang off the sides which is where 80% of the pain comes from. So a wider seat solved my problem. Anyway for me the top mod was the seat followed by the 3x3 & jet kit.

Fisher:

http://www.fishersaddlebags.com/seats.html

I think this winter I am going to send the forks & shock off and get them properly done since I finally have time to ride more. Then a 3.2 tank and thanks to Signman606(grrrr) I must have the TrailTech 8" 55watt headlight, a tool tube, and saddle bags, and and and .........

Watch out for these fellas from OZ...they will have you supercharging the engine and slapping on a FCR carb before you know what's happened.

• Like 2

I think this winter I am going to send the forks & shock off and get them properly done since I finally have time to ride more. Then a 3.2 tank and thanks to Signman606(grrrr) I must have the TrailTech 8" 55watt headlight, a tool tube, and saddle bags, and and and .........

Arhhhh....The modding bug has hit hard.....I too am a sucker for that Vagrantidol lighting setup......I already have the lights , just waiting on the master craftsman :worthy: to put some finishing touches to the bracketry and wiring..... :banana:

Watch out for these fellas from OZ...they will have you supercharging the engine and slapping on a FCR carb before you know what's happened.

Yes... I believe in "power to the people"..... :applause:

• Like 1

You are thinking of a larger engine perhaps.???? http://www.hemi.com.au/

Yep, those were more my era. Do y'all have any Boss Hogs down under? Chev 350 on two wheels? I watched a guy turn one around in a parking lot once....took him about 5 min.

Yep, those were more my era. Do y'all have any Boss Hogs down under? Chev 350 on two wheels? I watched a guy turn one around in a parking lot once....took him about 5 min.

Yes I can remember the Hemi engines from the 70's....here in OZ they were fitted in Valiant/Chrysler cars like the Charger....https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=635

We used to call them "Wog Chariots" back in the day.... because all the ethnic nationalities had them....lol

EDIT....Of course no racial slur is intended here, it's just the way we spoke in those days.... :D

Edited by Craigo 485sm

A bit? Go on youtube, there are a bunch of owners with videos of them sitting parked and revving the engine.....kotz_015.gif

Yes I can remember the Hemi engines from the 70's....here in OZ they were fitted in Valiant/Chrysler cars like the Charger....https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=635

We used to call them "Wog Chariots" back in the day.... because all the ethnic nationalities had them....lol

EDIT....Of course no racial slur is intended here, it's just the way we spoke in those days.... :D

i've never heard anyone use that term. i have no idea what it means...

Triple Dang.. :eek: ...what a handful that would be....

Superdang!

And, sunburninaz, nice first "expedition". I hope to be able to ride mine someday, too.

I have size 12.5 street boots (46 euro) and no problems with the shifter. MX boots must be huge. If you are tall with those size 14's think about a Seat Concepts TALL seat. I have a 34" inseam and the bike fits me much better with the tall seat.