Sign in to follow this  

xr 100 rebuild. almost there, may need a lil help

A couple things are setting me back from getting the little xr I had sitting in my backyard running for my little sister.

1) kick start spring- keeps popping out, does this mean I just need a new one? or am I not setting it in properly, everytime I put it in and do something with the motor (moving) or kick start I feel like I hear it jump off or mess up...

2) I ground the rings edges a lil far from spec? is it a big deal? (the gap measures under my biggest feeler gauge but cant remember what size that is) Its definitely more then the .050 or .002" specified gap

Over spec ring end gap on new rings may cost you a little bit of compression. On a XR100 unless you cut chunks off, I don't think anyone will be the wiser.

However, if you're concerned, now's the time to buy new rings before installing and wasting gaskets.

Your other question I don't know, is it seated correctly? Could there be a problem with the space it sits in - a lip or some such that's broken or worn?

Edited by Smacaroni

unfortunately the bike is already together. unless there is some way it can cause detonation from being gapped more then spec ill leave em in.

ill get the spring out and go thru the book again to make sure its installed properly.

thanks for the info!

ok! totally installed that kick starter spring improperly (washer goes before clutch assembly).

everything works great! BUT IT DOESN'T IDLE RIGHT, it got low on gas and idle'd really high and then after I put gas in it it went back to to too low of an idle. really weird, but anyways

having trouble keeping it on when im just sitting there or holding the clutch, it cranks up fine but if im not giving it a lil gas its cutting off.

definitely will do it again, even though I just did today, it was nasty when I took it apart, may have junk in it again

My slow jet on my XR200 was completely plugged, but I did not even notice it the first time I took the carb apart.....needless to say the bike ran like crap. A buddy of mine took the carb off just for the hell of it while I was working on the bike and he noticed it. Sometimes it's good to have a 2nd set of eyes looking at the bike. 👍 Now....Clean jet=bike runs nicely!

I think im gonna try and post a video on here and see if the valve chatter from this thing is normal, its not loud like when I had a bad cam chain its just kind of prevelant, I have an fmf pipe on here that makes this lil bike really loud so its hard to tell wats goin on ( I replaced the cam, cam chain and set the valves at the right gap. but I didn't change the tappets and they were slightly worn so im wondering if they could be helping the chatter and Im ordering new ones). but yeah still idling funny, haven't taken off the carb I was just messing with it today