Simply Fuarked the simple stuff!

So as some of you may know, when it comes to anything mechanical, I am completely hopeless.

Well sadly for the road banana I thought I would try to become less hopeless by learning to work on the bike myself.

I think I will be using this thread purely so you guys can laugh at my uselessness...

Firstly, I thought it would be a good idea to change the cam chain myself because I have the time and I want to learn.

This is how it went.

"hmmmm, better take the bash plate off first"

1 minute later I turned the hex head of the FIRST bolt into a nice circular mess....

Literally the first bolt........

So after a visit to grandads I now know how to use the easy out tools.............

So next I decided to put the nicely circular bolt behind me and continue on my journey to a new cam chain.

Next step was to drain the oil.

Plugs removed easily enough and oil came out fine.

After that I thought it would be smart to put the plug back in for safe keeping.

Well this dickhead hasn't used his brand new torque wrench before...

Let's just say I am &%$#@!ing thankful that I didn't crack anything however I will soon be learning how to tap a thread...

Yeah, that was enough breaking things for today...

Tomorrow I will continue on my journey to see how many things I can "learn" before I change this &%$#@!ing cam chain ?

• Like 1

:eek: ....... you have to get the crap out of the hex head so the hex tool can be inserted correctly... a small flat screw driver is what I use....

Yeah I did this :(

Pretty sure it was because the allen keys were slightly worn :/

Maybe this is a divine warning sign from above...lol...Why are you replacing the timing chain?

Mechanic said it was very worn...

Mcct is adjusted quite far in and the chain rattles a LOT

Too late, but just snug on most bolts. I don't pick up a torque unless it's manifold or head bolts etc. I really think you should take that offer of help and watch/practice/learn from someone that has experience. You are jumping in with both feet on the Cam which must be done right or certain things impact other certain things while making sickening crunching sounds.

• Like 2

Welcome to wrenching :cool:

Don't feel to bad, some bolts Suzuki used on the DRZ are complete Sh*t and soft. I got a set of Grip-Tite sockets last christmas and they work awesome on those bolts that start to round off. I don't know if they sell them in Aus though.

I've broken quite a few bolts myself, this being the first bike I've worked on extensively. But, I've also spent time working in the trades and come from a family of tradesman. That helped with the basics. Just take your time, try and find a mentor and be patient.

A rushed job is never a well done job.