Sign in to follow this  

2013 CRF450 Factory Connection Re-valve?

Has anyone had their air forks re-valved by FC and did you like the results?

Thanks

yes, they are better, but I am not impressed with their progress. They did mine in February and as of a couple days ago they have no real updates. You would think after six months they would have something better. I am looking close at the MX-Tech conversion. Also, Enzo has a new piston, just like the 2014. FC had no idea about a new piston. Strange since they have a Honda connection. I asked them about the updated 2014 piston and they said they knew nothing about it.

Thanks Degbiti,

Whats the MX Tech conversion? Springs? I've never been blown away by any re-valve that I have had done in the past. I've ha FC do a few and have been happy with the results but always thought there should be a bigger difference over stock. But then I had two other big name companies do a couple of bikes and thought they were worse than stock and more expensive than FC. I'll give them another shot. A small gain is better than getting something worse for my money.

• Like 1

Unless you get 'the guy' in any shop, you get pot luck.

11 bikes over the last 7 years:

Factory Connection C+ ( KTM's, KX's, 5 tries)

ESP C+ ( CRF's 3 tries)

Superplush D ( KTM's 4 tries)

Smart Performance D+ (WR's, 4 tries and a 15 week wait the last two times)

AS Racing B+ ( CRFX wow! the first ride. Since I have done their 'upgrades' and been more honest about my actual ride weight, and a CRFR. Soooo plush. They really know the CRF stuff)

Stevic Racing A- ( just did some YZ suspension for me, and it's extremely controlled and reasonably plush)

Edited by Krannie

ESP did my 06 and it felt pretty good. I had Pete from NOST do my 12 and he did a great job. he spent like 6 hours on my suspension and uses his own proprietary valves. he is also not secretive about what he does like most others out there. he will show you his stuff, tell you what he is doing and let you watch him work the entire time.

all this being said, I have always been a proponent of having a local guy do the work. he understands your riding conditions and is someone you can go directly to if you have any issues rather than working them out over the phone and then having to mail your stuff back out.

I just don't understand how a local guy can do a re-valve without testing. Where do they get their settings from? Although there was a local guy GP Racing that did a great job on a couple of my bikes. Are they using Race Tech stuff or just guessing? I'm not trying to knock them, just get a better understanding. I'm sure there are others out there with the same thoughts. Maybe if I better educated myself I would see where certain changes fix certain problems.

Edited by Mike546

They use your input on how the bikes feels and make changes to the shim stacks, accordingly. The big name companies can offer new pistons and other do-hickeys, but whether or not they are necessary is another story altogether.

After your revalve, you should have more input, good or bad, and he can then make the second iteration of changes for you. After that you should be all set. I find that a suspension guy that actually rides is a big plus!

Edited by Eddie8v

I just don't understand how a local guy can do a re-valve without testing. Where do they get their settings from? Although there was a local guy GP Racing that did a great job on a couple of my bikes. Are they using Race Tech stuff or just guessing? I'm not trying to knock them, just get a better understanding. I'm sure there are others out there with the same thoughts. Maybe if I better educated myself I would see where certain changes fix certain problems.

It's all about experience and good detective work on the tuners part, and good honest technical communications skills on the riders part.

As mentioned, some shops have an agenda to sell a 'doo-hickey' with every re-valve, because it guarantees profitability.

Yes, some forks require a piston upgrade or a bottom valve replacement, but not with anything that is on a Honda since 2002.

Remember, the level of tuning that you and I get, vs. that a national pro gets, is quite different in it's level of fine tuning. They will re tune the suspension multiple times a day, to get the ultimate feel and control for a certain set of circumstances. We get 'ball-park' tuning. If we the riders are able to accurately communicate what we believe needs to be changed, then maybe the tuner can get closer and closer to what works best overall for our usual conditions. That is if the tuner is willing and able. Part of the problem for the tuner is that after the first re-valve, most riders change their riding habits to adjust to the new suspension, and now have a whole new set of suspension issues, as they are riding faster with the new suspension.

I actually sent videos to Smart Performance and Factory Connection showing the problems I was having, to try and get them to respond to my requests, but they kept over-shooting the changes by such large amounts it became futile. Now to be fair, I am huge (6'4" 250lbs) so my particular needs are way outside of the normal 5'10" 175lb vet rider. Some shops can deal with this, some cant.

Thanks for all the input guys. I imagine that FC does a boat load of Honda's and has received a lot of feedback good and bad. On the phone Jeremy did say that they work with and modify the stock parts and he didn't offer to sell me anything extra like pistons. I'm going to send my forks in the end of next week. I let you know how I make out.

Mike

Which suspension shop did you settle on?

Facory Connection

I took my suspension to Factory Connection in NH on Thursday and they re-valved the forks and shock and got me a 5.7 spring for the rear. I'm around 193 lbs and they recommended 35 psi in the forks. First let me say that the stock forks were harsh from mid to bottom, especially if I was trying to tap the tops of rollers. Withe the re-valve the forks seem plush way into the stroke and the harshness and deflection is gone. The shock was pretty good stock but is way better with the 5.7 spring and re-valve. I'm definitely going faster on the bike. I'm only a C rider but it gave me confidence to charge a little harder into the rollers and whoops. It doesn't bottom hard when I come up short on jumps. I'm very happy with the work FC did and this 13 Honda is the best bike I have ever owned. I was a little worried at first because they said they were going to stiffen up the valving to keep it higher in the stroke. Well it worked and it seems to corner even better now. I give them an A+.

Mike

My son reports this bike, with this setup to be the best bike he has ever ridden.

Our 13 got the same FC fork stiffening treatment as -1 for the same reason.

The rear is revalved and resprung with a 5.3 spring.

There's also a few other changes for his preference to both the front and rear.

He's a pro level rider.