Sign in to follow this  

Guidelines for bike sizes for the kids. Please give your input

So I got my boys pw50 running and he's having a ball. Problem is that while I was busy and it sat he still grew. His thighs are only slanted down a little by the tank and his kneess are bent some with his feet on the ground. He got on his cousins pw80 which is a three speed suto clutch and took off and left it in second. Today on my way to work I drive by a fairly clean '04 ktm 50sx (one speed) for $1k.

So my problem is this. ... I don't have a grand to swipe up a new bike for him. My 4yo Is eager to ride so the 50 won't go to waste. (For long).

What do you guys do as far as deciding what bike to get next? As much an improvement as the height and susp would be on the 50 I really think he needs a shifting bike. Maybe not a manual clutch yet but. ... oh btw he is 7 about 50 inches (like I said the 50 stayed the same, hr did not). Prob 50 plus#. Little bro is about 44 inches 40idh # and 4yo. Little sis is two but won't be far behind. Any advice is appreciated.

Depending on your child's build, at 7 you are approaching a 65 2t (manual clutch), or a 90/110 4t trail bike. The right bike depends on what you want to do with it.

The 90/110 would have a gear shift and an automatic clutch. They are tough little bikes and can be ridden for a long time as your child grows, but are not race bikes. They tend to be heavy for a little person to pick up.

The 65 cc 2t are light race bikes, but work pretty well for trail riding for the more experienced rider. The power curve is more aggressive, but is teachable. You just want to watch the wear parts more closely, and of course, have to run premixed gas.

He is already too big for a 50 and will just break the frame, or spokes, or pound out the steering head bearings. Look at those if you buy a used bike, to see if someone too big rode it too long.

Appreciate the input. I'm thinking a65 is in order then. He wants to race. I figure he can deal with the suspension for trail riding and maybe I can tame it down some too for the woods stuff. Right now he is just getting around the yard and riding the lane back to the woods. He is getting better and more comfortable. Will prob put him on the 80 more as well to learn to shift with an auto clutch.

Unless you are racing MX stay away from the King Cobra and KTM Senior. He can race either until he is 9.

If you are looking for a cheaper 65 the KTM maybe too pricey. Finding a clean KX65 is probably more in your price range.

If you plan on racing MX in 65 class the ktms are the most popular. You can be competetive on a KX but IMO KTM is better.

Wood racing? KX is supposedly the better bike. Not sure on that one though

:cheers:

Well he does want to race. I have aktm and really like them. He wants aktm but I understand I will probably be spending more oh one. What were you saying he can race until he is nine?

I am a fan of the KTM's as well. My son is 7 and rides a '08 pro Senior. It is a ton of power and requires alot of maintenance. If you keep up on the maintenance then it will be bullet proof in races and riding. If it sits in the garage without care, then it will break on it's own. Engines changes in '09 and '11 I believe. I prefer the old school washer stacking myself, but I'm a glutten for punishment. As long as he is having fun, you know his limits don't be afraid to push them slightly. At 7 yrs old I wouldn't get him onto a 65 just yet, but again only you know what he is capable of. Have a good one.

Since you're looking for guidelines, first and foremost, the bike should fit the child. Don't put him on something that's too tall and he's uncomfortable with it. In general, both feet on the ground is a good idea, especially for trail riding. However, I acknowledge that some kids skills grow faster than their bodies do, so they may benefit from having a bike that they need to lean to mount and dismount and could only touch both feet on starting blocks. You'll see this more on the MX track. Heck, for some adults starting blocks are needed.

Never training wheels. Ok, maybe a child who wants to ride a bike and has Cerebral Palsy. For normal, healthy children, never TWs. Wait till next year when he fits the bike or if he's got balance issues, strider and pedal bikes.

I don't like the idea of leaving the bike in 2nd or 3rd gear and letting Junior think this is how one rides. Put it in first and send him off, then run along side him tell him to shift up. Then have him slow down and tell him to shift down. Repeat a few dozen times - voila! he knows how to shift.

I am certainly in favor of taming down a high-strung bike, especially for new to the 65s riders. The worst thing that happens is he complains the bike is lame and you have to spend 10 minutes taking the washer out of the exhaust and removing the fuel hose throttle limiter. A FWW is a good idea for riders learning the clutch and trail riding. If you buy used, you should be able to sell again for what it cost, less shipping. Now throwing a timid child on a 65 and not taming it? You're asking to keep him on the bench for months, perhaps years. Nobody wants that.

Don't push him if he's feeling skiddish. All kids have a tolerance to perceived danger, some is greater than others. When he decides he wants to play in the dirt or chase lizards, let him. If he wants to "ride the 50" today, bring out the 50 if you still have it.

Most of all, take lots of pictures and video, because before you know it, you'll have a hard time keeping up with him!

Thanks for your input guys. It was exactly what I wanted. I'm going to try him on the shifter this weekend and see how he does. He's riding with his cousins now to so all of their interest is sparked some. Let the fun, and the spending, begin. Btw my 4yo begged to try and I have pretty good video of that. He scared himself silly in a perfectly straight line. Laid it down in the wheat. He is begging again but I'm waiting until the wheat is cut. Maybe next week!

If there just getting of the pw50 get them something that's NOT a race bike! A used Honda crf70 would be perfect because its a smooth shifting 3 speed, smooth running four stroke, easy to mod and buy parts for, just a all around better kids bike than a race bike!! They can be had for like $700