Sign in to follow this  

Buying and relaibility advice/highly moded S or stock S w/ a few mods,

Hi All - I'm a DRZ newbie here. So I've outgrown my KLR, been a great entry level DS bike but now I want lighter and more power but still a DS. I'm looking at two DRZ-S's:

1) Heavily moded 2001

Stage 2 hot cams

FCR carb

powernow valve

3x3 mod

K&N filter

manual CAM tensioner

FMF Ti exhaust/header

DRZ-E CDI box

many other suspension/body mods

2) Lightly moded 2006

FMF Powercore

JD carb jetting

3X3 mod

K&N filter

a few other body suspension mods

I've read all th threads about the DRZ qwerks and fixes but overall the DRZs are considered very reliable, but what about one with an engine that's been heavily moded like #1 above? I really like the dependability of the KLR, I ride it hard, do regular sched maintenance and then it sits in the garage until I'm ready to go again, very little wrenching. Are all those DRZ mods geting me into CRF/KTM high maintenance territory? Curent PO of #1 is having to rebuild the carb before the sale as it sat months without starting it, supposedly he did drain the gas.

Thanks, you guys are a wealth of knowledge.

ps. DRZ seat willing...I still want to be able to knock out 150 to 300 mi/day and a few hours on the super slab if the trip demands it.

Edited by DCrider

Neither bike is what I would call "heavily modified". Both should be as reliable as stock. It all depends on use, care, condition and maintenance. #1 is just more or less and "E" model in tune.

Neither bike is what I would call "heavily modified". Both should be as reliable as stock. It all depends on use, care, condition and maintenance. #1 is just more or less and "E" model in tune.

Thanks. Both appear to be well maintained, and yes the "heavily modified" is essentially an "E", he even added E forks. Maybe its best to get an E and just add a S subframe (I forgot to mention the PO of #1 traded the S sub for an E, so to DS it I'll have to buy a subframe anyway).

Post up the CL ads for both bikes, so that we could check em out, and you did not mention a price?

I dunno, 2001 to me at lest, seems a bit old, id try to find a newer bike.

Post up the CL ads for both bikes, so that we could check em out, and you did not mention a price?

I dunno, 2001 to me at lest, seems a bit old, id try to find a newer bike.

No CL adds to post, expired but both still not sold as far as I know. And agree the 2001 is older than prefered, he was asking $2100 for it with all the mods.