Sign in to follow this  

Replace stater motor without removing cylinder

Just thought I would share this information, My starter motor failed on my 2005 crf250x so needed to be replaced but after hours of looking on the internet for the best way to do everyone said the head and barrel had to be removed first which is a lot of work plus parts. I have now found out it can be done with no great difficulty as I have just replaced mine, First thing to do is remove the clutch arm and cable, disconnect the earth strap and main strap on starter then remove the cam chain tensioner, undo the 2 starter retaining bolts and wiggle it free until it hits the barrel. You will see its a little bit big to slid out by about half a millimetre, now get a peace of wood and place on the gear end of the motor and just knock it out really easy and no damage. When I changed mine I got a file and took the half a millimetre off the new starter and it just slid back in, JOB DONE saved a lot of time and an easy fix.

Edited by GMADD
  • Like 3

I am so glad that I found this thread! Starter bendix gear is wasted on my '04, was really not looking forward to having to remove the cylinder....I am replacing the starter drive gear since that is damaged as well and may even give me more freedom of movement..

So glad I joined Thumpertalk recently,..just having starter motor issues on my 2009 CRF,tried removing it but as you said hit cam chain tensioner,..looked a right crap job :( ,..thanks for info on this matter,will have a go again tom now 👍

Same here. I had starter problems recently and this post made a world of difference in removing the starter. I also had to raise the sub frame just a little to get the starter past the carb.