Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Planning a trip to Michigan

Hello all,

Every year My brother, Father, some friends and I do a week long riding trip to the Hatfield McCoy riding area in WVA. And next year we are going to Michigan. The reason for this is my father is from the northern Michigan area and after the Air Force he stayed in MD but would go back every year to ride with his friends in Mio and Rose City. He had taken my brother and I a couple times when we were in our teens and I remember having a great time. Well, my mother passed a couple weeks after we got back from our WVA trip (June 17) and my father is is going to sell everything and down size so we decided we want to take him back north one last time. It has been 30 years since I have been up there and am looking for the best trail system/systems to visit. We may need lodging as well, not sure if we will have an RV by then or not. We are all B level east coast riders, and my Dad is 75 and rides a 4wd quad. So we are looking for some good quad trails and hopefully some technical single track that some of us can jump off on.

I found this link on here and is a good place to start http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-38330--,00.html. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Would love to here from some of the local guys about where to ride. We are looking at riding Monday thru Friday. most likely early next summer. I am just starting the planning phase of this trip now so I can give the ole guy something to look forward to.

I ride up north at least once a month all summer. The trail guides that MI DNR provides are good and so are Jeremy's maps found here

http://www.vvmapping.com/trails/trailInfoMI.html

The Mio area trails are good, fairly sandy in spots but that area is one I go to quite a bit. I've ridden Rose City, Ambrose Lake, St. Helen area many times.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

• Like 1

Looks like you've found the source, Rob... I seem to remember some trails that have singletrack in parallel with wider trails, but I don't know them all. Tin Cup was this way for a portion, as it rides next to the MCCCT system.

I'm sure others will provide more information. (Nice link, Mr2!)

-Tom

Edited by IL8APEX

ATV with nearby single track... It will be nothing like West Virginia, the technical part of MI is sand and trees.

I would look at the Kalkaska system. The ORV Route is fun and there's an interconnecting ATV Trail that winds through both. The trail is 50" and so his ATV would be fine on it, but the Route is 72" and just that much easier (so you could have fun and he could too). Connecting and to the south of there is the North Missaukee system. There's more ORV Route, ATV Trail and quite a bite of motorcycle-only single track. Again, more for all of you. Could easily spend all week riding different options between these two systems.

Great thanks.

Is there any kind of lodging like cabins or houses for weekly rentals or is camping the only option?

Seems like Tin Cup in Baldwin criss crosses a bit with the wide trail too. I think the Little Manistee does it as well, though I haven't ridden that trail in a while. I dunno if any of these will compare to the harder trails @ HM trails, if that is what you ride. I mean most of the trails in Baldwin IMO aren't overly technical. Some rocks, some hills, but mostly just winding and some sand..usually a bit of whoops. Tin cup is fun though. In fact, I think even Lincoln Hills crosses the big trail a bit too. All those trails are in the Baldwin area...pretty decent up there. Far as lodging, well, there is cabins and such you could rent within reasonable distance (i know there are some for sure a lil further west on M-10). But there is also camping out there....however without an RV....it'd be tenting. Tenting is fine by me, but obv may not be for you guys!

Also, sorry to hear about your mom....lost my Dad in 2011 (he was 51), still sucks...probably always will.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

Rob or anyone other northern MI riders,

I'm up from Texas for the month of July. I'm staying close to the Kalkaska area in northern MI (LP). I'm looking for some riding buddies while I'm here. I'm also riding the Six Days or at least the first 3 days of Six Days of Michigan (July 21 - 23rd).

If anyone is interested in getting together to ride, please call me at 512 Seven - Six - (Two) - 5898

I ride a KTM 450XCF and Yamaha WR450. Mainly my KTM though. Fairly good rider. I can take it easy or riding fairly fast. All depends on the group, etc.

Thanks, Devin