It finally happened...

Well, like the title says, it finally happened.

After all the speculation, all of the hearsay, all of the "my buddy's neighbor's brother's gardener" BS, we have first-hand (well, I guess it's 2nd hand for all you bitches) confirmation of a "special construction" plate getting yanked by the DMV.

It started here:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/979262-gorman-sting-operation-alert/

And ended yesterday with a meeting at the DMV. The DMV never sent out a renewal notice for Killerous' tags. He called to renew and they told him a hold had been placed on his registration and he'd have to come down.

As mentioned in the original thread, the rangers had taken copious notes and submitted the info to the DMV.

The DMV came to the determination that this bike should have never been issued a plate and yanked it on the spot.

So there ya go...

I will never understand how it is legal to build a custom chopper and get it registered but try to do the same with a dual sport and the whole shit hits the fan.

Bummer.

I guess the lesson is.....

Dont ride at svra's with questionable plated bikes.

Edited by Dust_Devil
  • Like 1

I will never understand how it is legal to build a custom chopper and get it registered but try to do the same with a dual sport and the whole shit hits the fan.

Bummer.

put dirkbike tires on the Choppers and ride them at Gorman... shoot, the Raider Fans try to get Quads up Tajon Trail...

• Like 1

Citizens building a custom street bike, chopper or other wise, from scratch you need a way to title and register it. Thats what the "Special Construction" program is for. When you take a dirt bike certified by the manufacturer through CARB and EPA as a dirt bike for OFF HIGHWAY USE only... slapping lights on it and runing it through the Special Construction program to simply bypass smog laws has always been outside of the spirit and written intent of the program/law.

It was inevitable that they would eventually crack down on it.... and the reason many have for years suggested that discussions about plating dirt bikes were better off held privately. By posting details in public forums we've been telling our adversaries how we get plates for years. I guess they finally listened ?

Truth is most guys I see in the real world riding with plates never get involved in this stuff online.

• Like 1

Everytime I accidentally wondered off legal riding territory and have been stopped or drove up to the authorities I felt very comfortable knowing my bike was legit. For this reason alone is why I choose a ktm over a Yamaha.

The way I look at it is, you got to pay to play here. This is a small price

It's because the original bike had a pre existing VIN number. If you build a frame it will have no VIN and it can be registered. That's how you can make a custom chopper.

Several years in 07 or so someone posted a DMV denial letter here as well. It does happen.

The DMV tried to pull the plate from an old Honda that was off the books. The AAA VIN verifier didn't check the right boxes and I got the letter stating that I had to mail my plate back and get a red sticker. After hours on the phone to Sacramento DMV headquarters working my way up the chain to a real decision maker, I managed to convince them that it was indeed a street bike and I still have the plate. It was not easy.

The moral of the story is don't take your marginally plated bike to a SVRA like Gorman.

I like my somewhat obscure factory dual sport. I doubt that any rangers have training on it. Where it seems that they do on a KTM.

• Like 2

Citizens building a custom street bike, chopper or other wise, from scratch you need a way to title and register it. Thats what the "Special Construction" program is for. When you take a dirt bike certified by the manufacturer through CARB and EPA as a dirt bike for OFF HIGHWAY USE only... slapping lights on it and runing it through the Special Construction program to simply bypass smog laws has always been outside of the spirit and written intent of the program/law.

It was inevitable that they would eventually crack down on it.... and the reason many have for years suggested that discussions about plating dirt bikes were better off held privately. By posting details in public forums we've been telling our adversaries how we get plates for years. I guess they finally listened ?

Truth is most guys I see in the real world riding with plates never get involved in this stuff online.

Assembling a bike from a pile of store bought parts is NOT building a bike from scratch. Our dirtbikes are as custom as any catalog built chopper after we get done with setting them up for us personally.

Building a bike from "scratch" means starting with raw materials.

• Like 2

Bummer for sure. Special construction plates mean creating a new VIN ( as cleonard has pointed out). I guess you could "total out" the vehicle, weld over and grind/paint the frame and start from scratch. I'm so happy not to be dealing with all that crap.

It's a trip blazing through Laguna beach on PCH on my plated dirt bike and not even get a second look from the cops! I drew more attention on my Ninja.

Bummer.

It's because the original bike had a pre existing VIN number. If you build a frame it will have no VIN and it can be registered. That's how you can make a custom chopper.

Several years in 07 or so someone posted a DMV denial letter here as well. It does happen.

The DMV tried to pull the plate from an old Honda that was off the books. The AAA VIN verifier didn't check the right boxes and I got the letter stating that I had to mail my plate back and get a red sticker. After hours on the phone to Sacramento DMV headquarters working my way up the chain to a real decision maker, I managed to convince them that it was indeed a street bike and I still have the plate. It was not easy.

The moral of the story is don't take your marginally plated bike to a SVRA like Gorman.

I like my somewhat obscure factory dual sport. I doubt that any rangers have training on it. Where it seems that they do on a KTM.

Damn! Gorman is gay any way,,,

Gorman! That is the entire issue.

I have been friends with a sworn DMV officer for five years.

This person knows this stuff bette then all of combined.

This person really could care less about a plate on a 650 R

or WR or X whatever. We are actually really stealth and site

out of mind. If the DMV had the self direction to rid plated

bike of question they would have long ago. They didn't, but

you had to earn/pay/and capital outlay on street components to do it.

The Gorman Office administratively did this, pushed this and seen it through

with little doubt.

• Like 1

Gorman! That is the entire issue.

I have been friends with a sworn DMV officer for five years.

This person knows this stuff bette then all of combined.

This person really could care less about a plate on a 650 R

or WR or X whatever. We are actually really stealth and site

out of mind. If the DMV had the self direction to rid plated

bike of question they would have long ago. They didn't, but

you had to earn/pay/and capital outlay on street components to do it.

The Gorman Office administratively did this, pushed this and seen it through

with little doubt.

That's real talk niggas...

Edited by BODIEFW
  • Like 2

Assembling a bike from a pile of store bought parts is NOT building a bike from scratch. Our dirtbikes are as custom as any catalog built chopper after we get done with setting them up for us personally.

Building a bike from "scratch" means starting with raw materials.

I'm not going to argue with you. Your argument is with CARB and our law makers.

Building a custom chopper from store bought parts is a NEW vehicle and thats what the Specialty Vehicle program is for. Slapping lights and horn on a dirt bike does not satisfy the written intent of the law under the this program. Thats why they have put all those $500 plate guys out of business.

Most guys getting plates aren't even using this method. And a small chopper builder selling registrable vehicles may often use a small builders/mfr certification process. Special Vehicle is for citizens and not businesses.

Sorry if you guys don't like facts. I can't change them to suit what you wanna hear. Just sharing what I know.

Bored now so you all beat it into what you want it to be. ?

Edited by Jeff aka BOLT