Sign in to follow this  

400 forks on 250

Just picked up a nice unmodified 2003 xr .A friend has a complete xr 400 front end.

I have read about installing them on the 250.

I ride in tight eastern terrain. Would they be too long ,affecting rake/trail?Would it be necessary to have a long length of fork tube sticking out above the top tripple?Should I just have the stock components resprung/revalved instead?

If it does, it wouldn't be by much. The added adjustability and bigger diameter of the XR4 forks would be worth it IMO. You would still have a steeper, quicker steering rake than any other bike besides another XR. I wouldn't sweat it, especially if the 400 front end is at a good price. Jump on it if you can, you can always get them re valved later and fixed up with an inch less travel if you think you need it. Just my 2 cents. 👍

I had to raise mine about 1 inch, just measure the length of both forks when they are off the bike and and adjust in the clamps until you get the same length as the xr250 forks. The XR400 forks were a nice improvement on my bike.

Any pics Fuzz? Did you have to weld / modify steering stops?

Here's a pic, the triple clamps are not stock and the steering stops actually contact the frame so I didn't need to weld new stops.

XR forks.jpg