OBD for motorcycles?

Do you guys know of any diagnostic tools for diagnosing and monitoring ECU functions on MX bikes that would be universal per say like the government mandated OBD for cars?

I am currently tracking down a gremlin in my 2011 KX 450F and was thinking about buying the kawi kit that allows me to tap into my ECU with my pc. Then started thinking how nice it would be if I'm going to spend that kind of money to be able to diagnose, repair, monitor, and modify multiple manufactures ECU's.

I have a diagnostic tool for my street bike. It will interface between my bike and laptop, allows for diagnostics for real-time runs, ECU, ABS, TPMS, and a bunch of other option... Records and clears faults. I can store data for up to 10 bikes (identified by VIN). It's been a big money saver for me.

I don't know if such a tool would exist for us for dirt bikes, though I'm betting many teams use them for their particular needs. Cost prohibitive maybe?

The unit I use is a GS911

Edited by f800strider

I think I saw a commercial for one. It was a factory team using one talking about how great it is. I don't remember the brand although.

I just found this on Rocky Mountain atv mc and it will probably do what you want. It'll cost you although.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/213/929/-/40943/Kawasaki-FI-Calibration-Kit?term=ecu%20programmer

Edited by Yz4481f

You are not going to find a ODB type interface unless it is mandated by the government. No money to be made in a universal interface. When ODB first came out, it was proprietary and all the independent shops complained that they had to buy a dozen different systems.

Some companies (like BMW) have already created the system (because of emissions) and have already passed the extra cost on to the buyers of its' bikes. You are not going to see the sub $10,000 buyers not caring about a 5% increase for the cost of a universal system. So it will stay proprietary. As a side note, even ODBII is fairly limited in the access it has the ECU. To really get in to it, you need the manufactures diagnostic tool, which are very expensive. Most require software subscriptions and that is too expensive for all the but the busy single brand shop.