Sign in to follow this  

are my bars out of alignment?

Trying to figure out if my bars are out of alignment. It looks like they are not pointing the same direction as the forks but then looking at it Im wondering how that is possible as they are connected to the triple clamp in two places and nothing appears broken. Maybe im hallucinating but doesnt it appear in the clear photos as if you can see more of the top of one fork then the other fork which would indicate that the bars are arranged diagonally in relation to the forks

GOPR0007.JPG

GOPR0006.JPG

GOPR0005.JPG

GOPR0004.JPG

I see it. The bars look bent. Take them off the bike, lay them face down(forward side of the bars) on a flat surface with the grips ends of the bar pointing up. Measure from the flat surface up to the bar end and see if the dimension is the same for both sides. Also, if the bar won't lay face down without rocking side to side, it's bent.

If it was just your forks being twisted in the triple clamps, you wouldn't see the discrepancy that seems pretty obvious, of that between the bar and top clamp.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

Are your bar mounts part of the triple clamp or bolt through with rubber bushings? My last bike had the rubber mounted bar clamps and would get tweaked really easily. If that is the case then just loosen up the bar clamps and twist them back into place.

How can you work on your bike in that mess? I would go crazy! :jawdrop:

Holy Mess!

Looks like the right side sits a little farther back than the left from what i can see in the pic.

I took my bars off of the mounts and looked at them and they appear to be straight although i didnt lay them on the ground because i didnt want to have to take off my levers and throttle. If its not the bars what is it

The bar mounts bolt through and one does appear to be tweaked just enough that you can barely notice it

A little goes a long way. Put your bars back in, turn them all the way to one side and give them a solid yank. Should fix them right up. As the bushings get worn it tweaks easier and easier. I had to do it every time i went down hard. Just use your triple clamp as a reference.

I took my bars off of the mounts and looked at them and they appear to be straight although i didnt lay them on the ground because i didnt want to have to take off my levers and throttle. If its not the bars what is it

Take your bar mounts off - looks like you might have a bent bolt. If everything is straight, put it all back together, sometimes a crash will bend a bar mount bolt, or just rotate the mount.

this happened to me, it is just the bars have been bent on one side. it is hard to bend them back, i just went with new bars

Could the right side mount be positioned 180 degrees different from the left side? Different positions for moving the bar forward or back?

Edited by mockoman

Looks like the right bar mount is further back. My advise....don't look at the bars while yer ridin!

took my bike off the stand leaned it up against a post gave the bars a good tug and.......... it totally worked. My bars are completely straight now thanks everybody for all the ideas I wouldnt of thought of rotating the bar mounts or just giving it a shove into place