Sign in to follow this  

How do I clean the mung off of a Ti FMF Muffler?

I bought my bike used. It has an all Ti PowerBomb/PowerCore exhaust. The decals have long since disappeared, but the glue remains, and is baked to a tenacious black residue. Does anyone know of a solvent that will dissolve it without ruining the can?

You can use a scotch brite wheel for a clean brush finish.

Well, I've tried Petroleum solvents, acetone, and toluene with acetone (carb cleaner). No luck. Oven cleaner's next. If that doesn't work, it's time for the wheel, and bye bye to the lovely blue patina, and hello mirror finish.

Edited by Old Plonker

New sticker?

Thought of that, but no stickers currently available on FMF's site match the outline of the one that came off. They changed the design of the sticker for my can.

Quoting myself:

Well, I've tried Petroleum solvents, acetone, and toluene with acetone (carb cleaner). No luck. Oven cleaner's next. If that doesn't work, it's time for the wheel, and bye bye to the lovely blue patina, and hello mirror finish.

I've had good luck with Oven Cleaner in the past...

Oven cleaner was the answer. Thanks Nate.

I just buffed my complete header with fine wire wheel and then hit it with a couple of different grade wet and dry paper. After the first good ride the deep blue patina came back right around the curve out of the head and now close to the head is awesome light blue colour. You can polish the silencer and then put the colour back around welded areas that dont get hot enough to tarnish from the exhaust temp with a heat torch.

Edited by Toooldtooslow

I just buffed my complete header with fine wire wheel and then hit it with a couple of different grade wet and dry paper. After the first good ride the deep blue patina came back right around the curve out of the head and is now close to the head is awesome light blue colour. You can polish the silencer and then put the colour back around welded areas that dont get hot enough to tarnish from the exhaust temp with a heat torch.

I think I'll try doing it your way. The can looks new where the crust dissolved, and is very different in colors elsewhere.

I bought my bike used. It has an all Ti PowerBomb/PowerCore exhaust. The decals have long since disappeared, but the glue remains, and is baked to a tenacious black residue. Does anyone know of a solvent that will dissolve it without ruining the can?

I used a dull razor. I got it off without any scratches then ordered some new decals feom FMF

1374263251102.jpg