Sign in to follow this  

Tires for '09 KTM 450 EXC

Looking for a new rear Tire. Want to do mostly offroad but still have DOT approval. Any suggestions?

Looking for a new rear Tire. Want to do mostly offroad but still have DOT approval. Any suggestions?

My buddy just took a Motoz tractionator off his 09' 450 exc after about 2 yrs.. It still hooked up well but he just wanted to try something else. I had a 110 terrapactor which is the lighter soft side wall rear tire.. I just put a 120 terrapactor in back now and a 90/100- 21 tractionator st for the front. I like em.. great grip and last long.. They aren't especially cheap from where I live but I've heard others can get them for much cheaper. Even with the little higher price for me the longevity makes it worth it. I ride just about all dirt but these tires are DOT i believe on our street legal dirt bikes. The tractionator is a stiffer sidewall 4 ply heavier built tire.

This is a little of what kind of stuff we ride. it's dry here but often it's opposite ... hard to tell with all the grass..but you get the idea..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I'd give about anything for a tire that lasted more than 2 or 3 weekends. :banghead:

The motoz seems to last longer and I run low low pressure lots of times in wet conditions where the MT16 would shred it's sidewall much earlier. I think the MT16 is slightly better but the longevity isn't as good by a long shot.. The MT16 will still work decent even when the tire is older and the edges or rounded though . If I drop the pressure on the MT16.. I have to make sure I pump it back up as soon as feasible to keep it from breaking down quicker. With the terrapactor (soft wall light tire) I've run a long time on low low pressure and the sidewall just handles.. I actually abused it just to see where it would break and it just didn't. The Motoz is working good .. I actually want to try some other brands that I haven't before just to see the difference and to maybe see what else might be good. The downside is trying a piece of crap tire but I wouldn't have found that Motoz works good.

I'd say try the Tractionator . It's heavy strong 4ply stiff sidewall . It breaks in though a bit. Since you go through tires so fast it's a decent bet to try. I tried an S12 Michelin and it sucked for me. It lasted long though but didn't hook up as well as the MT16 and it packed up with our clay mud. I don't know it's still about just trying a tire to see how it works for each person and terrain. I do like how the Motoz has performed so far though. The MX51 works ok but wears out about as fast or faster than an MT16 around here.. just as another frame of reference. You can see my buddy has a Tractionator ST on his 09' 450 ktm in the video. That's after about a year riding 2 to 4 times a month in local trails. You can see the types of trails/mix of terrain the tires is used on here. It's lasted way longer than I ever figured and still working

http://www.youtube.com/user/woodsrider117