Sign in to follow this  

ALUMINUM DIAMOND PLATE for trailer deck?

I have the typical 4X8 cheapie trailer for hauling my bikes (2) and the plywood deck that was OE is starting to get a little flaky. I'd like to go with aluminum diamond plate. I'm sure 1/4" would work just fine but a 4x8 sheet of that is pretty spendy-$300+. Even 1/16" is almost $150 but I don't think it would be strong enough. I wouldn't want to see it buckle like a beer can when I tighten down the bikes. So, has anyone used this stuff for a trailer, what thickness did you use and were you satisfied?

Thanks!

I guess I never thought of that. So, maybe put a layer of bedliner on the diamond plate or just forget it and buy some marine plywood?

I did that this past spring. I used 3/4" plywood and painted it with a good primer first. Then I bought some 1/8" aluminum diamond plate sheet material (for $204, at Steelco) and covered the plywood with it. It's worked out most excellently. Not any more slippery than the bare painted plywood when wet, IMO.

Here's a look at the trailer. I've added some 6 inch sides to the trailer after this photo was taken.

6C51BA73-B5FB-4131-8D8F-D838D6BF5ECB-146-0000000CCD5733A8.jpg

Randy

I did that this past spring. I used 3/4" plywood and painted it with a good primer first. Then I bought some 1/8" aluminum diamond plate sheet material (for $204, at Steelco) and covered the plywood with it. It's worked out most excellently. Not any more slippery than the bare painted plywood when wet, IMO.

Here's a look at the trailer. I've added some 6 inch sides to the trailer after this photo was taken.

6C51BA73-B5FB-4131-8D8F-D838D6BF5ECB-146-0000000CCD5733A8.jpg

Randy

Hmmm. I will consider that as one option. I think I still might go with marine plywood underneath since it sits outside year-round in Mn. Thanks.

Marine grade plywood. epoxy or urethathane porch paint from a big box store with some sand in it. Park with the tongue up or down a couple inches and you are good to go. $200 diamondplate on $100 HF trailer?

• Like 1

Thinking about the same think. Plywood is only going to last so long even with routine maintenance. I'm looking around at manufactured trailers and seeing what thickness diamond plate they are using.

$200 diamondplate on $100 HF trailer?

Yeah, I know it's bizarre. The most valuable part of the trailer. I could see someone stealing it, removing the aluminum plate and finding the stripped chassis at the end of the block...

I used expanded metal grating on my little 4x6 trailer. Much cheaper than diamond plate and very good traction even when wet.

I'd go the treated plywood route-$36 for 3/4" at Menards. Attach and forget. Plywood will outlast the tires on that trailer.

Plywood ,saturate with fiberglass resign, add if you choose ( skuff surface then add bedliner) either way it will last longer then you think.

I'm kind of leaning toward marine plywood. Diamond plate looks so cool but that's not a reason for me to use it. At least, I think I'll have a LITTLE less money into the whole project.

Marine plywood - 5/8 or 3/4..$50. Primer (gal?) $20. A finish coat of some kind of tough paint (gal?) $30. Bedliner (roll-on) for top surface...Not sure about this one. Anyone got any suggestions for a brand, etc. I hope I don't have to buy an entire gallon for $100 but it's possible.

It adds up to $200...Yipes.

the fiberglass resign locks into the wood fiber much better then primer/paint and also seals and waterproffs. thats why they use it on boats!

I'm kind of leaning toward marine plywood. Diamond plate looks so cool but that's not a reason for me to use it. At least, I think I'll have a LITTLE less money into the whole project.

Marine plywood - 5/8 or 3/4..$50. Primer (gal?) $20. A finish coat of some kind of tough paint (gal?) $30. Bedliner (roll-on) for top surface...Not sure about this one. Anyone got any suggestions for a brand, etc. I hope I don't have to buy an entire gallon for $100 but it's possible.

It adds up to $200...Yipes.

Quarts of oil based paint and primer are available at Fleet Farm or Menards. Throw some sand in the paint for grip-tion.

As for the expense of Marine grade vs treated, I have a sled trailer I put new plywood decking on 5 years ago-bolted it on, did nothing (treated plywood). It sits outside most of the time. The wood is gray, no longer pretty treated green, but it's not delaminating or peeling apart. Throw some paint on and forget it.