Sign in to follow this  

Do 450s really wear you out faster?

I cant decide whether to get a 250 or 450. I hear that 450 wear you out way quicker but 450 only weights 15 pounds more, so do they really wear you out that much quicker on an MX track?

The weight will make it harder but its mostly that the 450 has way more torque and power than the 250. That's what is going to wear you out faster. Ever thought of the KTM 350, it has almost as much power but less torque than the 450.

Edited by bmois173

I just switched from a 2011 KX450F to a 2013 KX250F for that reason. I don't ride often enough to be able to jump on a 450 once a week (sometimes even less) and take advantage of all the power and not get beat up. I'm heavy too, 185-190# without gear. I came off of a 250 two years ago, and seemed to fade much worse at the end of motos on the 450 than I did on the 250. Also seemed to have more get-offs. Getting back on a 250 it was amazing what a difference it is in cornering and putting the bike where I want it in general. The only thing I'm really worried about is starts, I haven't raced the new bike yet, hopefully in the next week or two if this rain ever stops.

I knew it was time to go back to a 250 when I was riding my CR125 play bike more than my race bike. It's really cool to have that much power, but I really can't take advantage of it. The other thing that sucks is 250C generally is more reckless than the 450C, where a lot of the guys have to go to work on monday. Time will tell, but I think I chose wisely.

• Like 1

Yes. I use to ride my 250f for 2-3 hours STRAIGHT. No getting off the track except to ride over to the other tracks. It was and is my endurance program, i wouldn't let my feet touch dirt til at least 2 hours pasted, depending on heat. I jumped on my buds new 450 and rode just as hard as i did on my 250f, however theres a big difference in technique, and after about 1.5 hours, my arms and legs were shitted. I was done. I prolly would've made it longer if i hadn't overjumped the all the big jumps the first 10 laps. I made around 30 laps i believe, and my legs worked just enough to make it to the tail gate. I'm sure you can adapt to the 450, after all I'm a small guy, 5'9 125 pounds in full gear, but the 450 is surprisingly fun to ride. The big jumps you seriously struggle to clear on a 250f 5th gear, the 450 will over jump in 4th. I personally don't care for the 450 over my smaller bore bikes, 112 125 250f and not exactly a small bore, 250 2t but it is a amazing bike on the track. I'm faster on it than anything but my 250 2t. It is a great vet weapon too, almost all the vets here race around on 125s or 450s. I'd test ride one for a good length of time and see what happens. if you are physically fit and have alot of upper body strength, you'll love a 450. After all, most local motos don't exceed 10-20 minutes.

• Like 1

Yes. I use to ride my 250f for 2-3 hours STRAIGHT. No getting off the track except to ride over to the other tracks. It was and is my endurance program, i wouldn't let my feet touch dirt til at least 2 hours pasted, depending on heat. I jumped on my buds new 450 and rode just as hard as i did on my 250f, however theres a big difference in technique, and after about 1.5 hours, my arms and legs were shitted. I was done. I prolly would've made it longer if i hadn't overjumped the all the big jumps the first 10 laps. I made around 30 laps i believe, and my legs worked just enough to make it to the tail gate. I'm sure you can adapt to the 450, after all I'm a small guy, 5'9 125 pounds in full gear, but the 450 is surprisingly fun to ride. The big jumps you seriously struggle to clear on a 250f 5th gear, the 450 will over jump in 4th. I personally don't care for the 450 over my smaller bore bikes, 112 125 250f and not exactly a small bore, 250 2t but it is a amazing bike on the track. I'm faster on it than anything but my 250 2t. It is a great vet weapon too, almost all the vets here race around on 125s or 450s. I'd test ride one for a good length of time and see what happens. if you are physically fit and have alot of upper body strength, you'll love a 450. After all, most local motos don't exceed 10-20 minutes.

Im about the same height and 150 with all gear on. You didnt have any problem going from a 250 to a 450s power?

For me personally, the 450 wears me out way faster. I don't know if that is a universal truth or not.

ive never owned a 250f or a 125 2 stroke but have ridden a few. From what i remember the 250f, especially the 125 2stroke, was a lot more work but not as exhausting if that makes sense. There wasn't extra power to really help with lack of technique per say is what i mean. So you had to ride smoother and smarter. With the 250 2 stroke or 450 you have power on tap so you didnt have to be as exact.

What I do remember is the smaller bikes were easier to turn and put where you wanted:) Ive been 180-200lbs since i was 18 and i started riding at 16 so my first couple bikes were 250 2 strokes so thats what my riding style has always been on.

No, a 450, ridden as fast as you might a 250, will last longer. However, being a heavier bike and having more power, you probably will not last as long.

Well, he did say wear YOU out faster in the title, hehe...jk, im sure you just missed the you part....pokin fun.

You must have a really big gas tank to last 2-3 hours without having to take a break to get fuel.

Edited by j368
  • Like 1

Im about the same height and 150 with all gear on. You didnt have any problem going from a 250 to a 450s power?

There is a different technique to riding them. I've ridden a few 450s before. My favorite bike is my rm250, so a transfer to a 450 isn't as big a gap as if i had little 450 experience. It will take you about 5 hours to get comfortable on the bigger bike, and you'll be fine. 450s are great bikes and super fun to ride.

• Like 1

Use to run my 250f for 2.5 hours fine without stopping for gas. My rm250 won't last as long, maybe 2, but rarely.

You must have a really big gas tank to last 2-3 hours without having to take a break to get fuel.

lol thats what I was thinking. I know my 450 is bone dry in give or take 70 mins. My 250 2 stroke was more like 50 mins. I dont know what kind of riding he is doing but thats a long time on a tank of gas. I know I can go that long on trials but track riding I can only get a little over an hour on a tank of fuel.
  • Like 1

I found the 450 to be much more tiring than a 250f. Even if you short shift it. If you work on conditioning you can get past it but how much time do you have to devote to riding. I ride 2 or 3 times a month. That is not enough for me so I sold my 450 and have had 250f's until this year. Now I have a 350. It really is middle ground. Love the bike though. I have no desire to get a 250f or a 450 anytime soon. I have been looking at a Ktm 150sx as a second bike though or maybe a yz125 with a 144 kit. Just because small bore 2 strokes are fun. If I get one I will not sell my 350.

Switching from a 250 2T (KTM XCW) ,  I find the 450 (KX) far LESS EXHAUSTING to ride on a track.

Riding the 2T is like saddling up on a hornet, and the 4T; a nice big comfy bear. The hornet feels quicker, always ready to change direction, but the bear has the power, and momentum to produce stability. The bear can be ridden gently, utilizing its torque. Hornets don't tiptoe. Ha. Have fun with whatever you end up on! 

• Like 1

The 450 has a lot more power which when you get tired and whiskey throttle it bad things will happen. And atleast for my 450 it's a lot harder to start than a 250 so if you dump it during a race your screwed.

Whenever I ride my buddies 250f I feel like I have to put more effort in to clear jumps and sections.  Maybe its because I ride a 250 2 stroke but the 450 seems like cake to ride compared to the smoker.  I would say you get worn out quicker on the 450 compared to a 250 4stroke

When i moved from 250f to 450 there really wasnt too much of a difference in how long of a sprint i could do. It is also way easier to clear everything on the 450.

• Like 1

I would agree that a 4 stroke is easier to ride than a 2 stroke at least on the track. I do feel a 250F is easier than a 450 as far as not getting tired but the 450 does make it much easier to clear jumps. I am an old out of shape guy you younger or in shape guy's that don't get tired can bite me. LOL I am just jealous I let myself go and you guy's are still in shape.

Edited by motojunkiedan

I'm a big guy, I weigh more than my 450F but it's easier and far more fun to ride even on tight single track trails for me. Don't get more fatigue on it either. If you weigh less than the bike then this could be an issue.