Sign in to follow this  

Drz 400sm need help deciding!

Hello everyone, I'm brand new and need you guys to help me decide on a second bike!

I currently have been riding a 2011 cbr 250ra since April and I will be selling it to upgrade before its cost depreciates too much.

I realy want a drz but where I live I have to do lots of highway driving.

I am 16 years old by the way and my Dad is completely agianst the idea of it. He wants me to get something lame like a cruiser with a windshield, that's no fun though is it?

Also cost is a big part of things too and I would definatly be looking used.

Please tell me anything you think I should know and if this bike would be for me. To get to the nearest city it is a 45 minute ride going 100km/h the whole way.

Thanks in advance!

If your are liking your CBR250, I think you will love a DRZ400SM. Bigger motorcycle, more power, more speed. You could fit a windshield if you decide you need one.. I'm with you on the cruiser, just say no.

A cruiser is just gay when your 16 years old, lol, sorry but it is,

The sm's are great bikes, and will be a nice upgrade from the 250.

I recently bought a DRZ400 "E" model and since I live in Arizona I was thankful to license it for the street. But I've ridden the S and SM model and they're both amazing bikes "Indestructible" great for a 16 year old considering I'm 15 1/2, If you could find a Street legal E model that's the way I would go. The E has a lot more low end torque but is kind of cruddy on the fwy depending on the chain ratio. The truth about teens like yourself and I is Insurance is a pain, You're dad is going to be thankful for getting a DRZ because the Insurance is dirt cheap for a teenager on a dual sport. If you were on a cruiser you'd be screwed on the insurance.

Overall I'd definitely get a DRZ and don't pay too much for it, I'd say 2500 is high..

Thanks for the replys, I agree that the 250 was a great starter bike but I can't scare myself on it so I thought a 400 would be the answer.

As for insurance I haven't priced it out but for my own insurance on the 250 it was only $600 a year which isn't horrible.

Couldn't have put it better about a teen on a cruiser lol.

Keep em coming guys!

Also for 2001 drz's on kijiji are lowest price $3400 where I live. Might be a little wiggle room but still seems expensive for what you get.

Also for 2001 drz's on kijiji are lowest price $3400 where I live. Might be a little wiggle room but still seems expensive for what you get.

Well I would say that $3500 for the SM model is a good deal in my area. Most go for between 4000 and 5000. Also remember the SM didnt come out till I think 2005. Nothing wrong with buying an '01 with the hooligan mod, but make sure it was done correctly. Read the FAQ section here and try to learn as much as you can about the DRZ SM before you buy one.

Tell your dad he should be happy as shit that you are looking at a DRZ. Wayyy safer then a rice rocket or a cruiser in my opinion.

And I agree 100% about the insurance. Once you get above 600cc the insurance goes wayyy up. And I think most cruisers are at least 600cc

....the CBR is probably going to be better for the boring 100 km/h 45 minute ride to the city.....Grab yourself a plated E for playtime around the local areas... :banana:

Tell dad cruisers are for girls and "old at heart" critters.. 👍:moon:

My dads riding a Harley and he said if we could find a cheap one with engine problems or something we could get it for me ( he's a heavy duty mechanic and has been for 30 years ) but I still want to get supermoto for the fun factor, long rides might be a bit less comfy but I'm young and got a strong back still.

As long as you guys think the bike would handle it.

Also it said the 2001 was a sm model and seller advertised as stock, it had the smoother tires and was blue In color.

Ok ill have to see what the ad was for then if theres no sm in 01 and yes my dad is a shop foreman at a work shop and fixes anything from weed eaters to earth movers. He can weld, fabricate stuff, and do lots if other stuff. He's kinda handy to have around.

Why you wondering? You seem surprised.

Also we would be able to mod it right out 🙂

His Harley has a few extra goodies on it, he also said I can ride it down the high way sometime pretty soon here, its a 2005 ultraglide if anyone here knows what that is lol. That's a different story altogether though!

Edited by Comstar1997

I have never heard of the term "Heavy Duty" to describe a tradesman....like you get "heavy machinery" and "heavy vehicle" mechanic....

I would use the term "Heavy Duty to describe an item , not a person....that's all.....

Anyway he sounds like a very handy dad to help you out ..... 👍

I sure wish i had the sm i have now when i was 16, that would have been killer! :ride:

Get a 38 tooth rear sprocket and the DRZ SM is fine for highway riding if you have a full face helmet and don't mind some wind blast on your chest and face and hands. Handguards would help. I visit my Dad on mine, 130miles away. Upgrade the seat too.

I've done countless 150 mile trips on the DRZ. Its not that you have to be worried about the bike making the trip, its how long you can stand to ride the stock seat.