Sign in to follow this  

Protective gear suggestions please

I'm looking for some protective gear. I have never owned so much as a roost guard while I have always worn proper riding boots, pants, helmet, jersey, and gloves. I'm not into motocross or anything, just desert riding, fire roads, and single track in the woods. The more I look at the rocks and trees as I ride past them the more I think I need some more gear. Particularly some upper body and maybe some knee protection as well. My problem is I don't know what I should look for or even who makes good pads.

Current equipment I wear:

helmet: Arai XD4

Boots: Alpinestar Tech8's

Goggles: Oakley something or others

Gloves: Alpinestar street gloves, carbon nuckles

I'm about 6'2" and 175 lbs

I'm not too concerned with a neck brace at this time, but being able to add one to the mix later would be beneficial.

I recently started moto camping on my DRZ so I need PPE that is comfortable to wear most of the day.

I've seen some people wearing a mesh looking shirt with lots of pads attached to it, this looks like it would work well with a backpack which is also a bit of a concern. I have no idea who makes these or if they are worth a darn.

What kind of experiences have you had with different pieces of gear? What do you like? What could you suggest to me as a starting point?

Thanks for the suggestions!

I tried a pressure suit once ... couldn't ride with it. Way too uncomfortable.

Will admit I went through a -lot- of gear before I found what works well. Now I've got a couple outfits I can mix-and-match depending on what kind of terrain i'm riding, weather, and what I feel like wearing.

In the dirt I'm wearing a Tekvest, paintball elbow pads, snocross shorts, thor force knee guards... I can wear this all day long comfortably.

P9250162-L.jpg

I have a Leatt 3DF long sleeve pressure suit and I love the thing. Between the snug fit and the material it's made of it actually helps to keep me cool in the hotter months and warmer in the cooler ones. I know that sounds ridiculous but it's true. It fits well enough that it doesn't move around in a get off but protects well enough that I'd never ride without it again. Is it the be all, end all, most protective thing out there? No, but it's very good for what it is, is comfortable to wear all day long, is easy to care for, cools/warms, and I don't look like a hockey goalie wearing it.

The only down side is it can be a little bit of a pain to get off after a day of riding. Once it's damp with sweat it's almost like its suctioned to your skin. You have to slide your fingers down the inside of the sleeves to "push" them off of your arms instead of pulling them off.

Very small price to pay for the coverage and comfort in my book. I love mine and do similar types of riding.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll look into the things you have suggested and let you know what I end up going with.

I got a Leatt Trail Brace and their upper body armor on order. I got the brace to where it fits really well, I'm quite pleased with its construction and adjustability. By body armor should be here on Wed., I'm really hoping it fits well.

I went to Cycle Gear and tried on the Alpinestars Bionic upper body armor, and it felt like crap. It has a lot of adjustments that may have made the fit a little better after some fiddling but it didn't seem worth the trouble. It feels like all of the pads are located in weird places and they are HUGE.

I also tried on a fox body armor as well, it fit much better right from the start, but I was less than impressed with its build quality.

I know Leatt makes a pretty nice chest protector, so I took a gamble and ordered theirs without being able to try it on.

Next stop will be knee guards, I don't really need braces, but I am leaning towards the ones with upper and lower straps.