Sign in to follow this  

Little issue when splitting cases

Just wondering whats the best way to get the old crank bearings off of the crank? I split the cases on my 03 cr250 a couple of weeks ago and the bearings came out on the crank instead of staying in the cases. Im going to reuse the crank as I just rebuilt the complete motor about 3 years ago. Im pretty sure they old heat method will work but can it damage any of the rod bearings?

This is the proper tool for the job.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/-/-/-/-/-/-/161060/

If you don't want to buy a tool I was thinking you might be able to get some cedar shims and wedge them between the bearing and the crank. Once they are in there you can force them in further with a hammer (carefully) and hopefully the bearing will pop right off. You will want to use at least two shims one on the bottom of the bearing and another on the top. Make sure you pushing them in equally so the bearing comes off square otherwise it will bind.

I have never tried this but I think it could work. Just be very careful not to contact the crank with the hammer since you could make it out of balance or do damage to the crank.

I think I have a way to do it without any special tools. Take two pieces of wood, like a piece of 1 by whatever and place them on opposite sides of the bearing. Put the crank in the vise so that the shaft is against one jaw 'make sure you protect the end with wood or something if your vise has rough jaws' then the two blocks of wood against the other jaw. It would probably help if the wood was atleast 4-5 inches by one once thick. Then heat the bearing up good and hot and it should slide off of there pretty easily.

Edit: you know on second thought I don't think that's going to work because of the crank center being in the way. I just made myself look dumb because I rushed thinking. Anyways any shop with a press will make quick work of that.

Edited by Curt026

After 30-years of shimming, rigging, scheaming, breaking, spending gob loads of time and generally bieng a cheap Bstd. I finally learned to buy the right tool. 3 months from now you will not even remember the 60 bucks you spent, and you will have this universally critical tool for the rest of your life, and cut your risk down to nearly zero. Hell once you have the tools buy a project, fix it and recover your losses. My price on it is $52.55 pm me if your are interested!

• Like 1

Harbor freight sells those bearing pullers. I forget how much like $20-30 or something, but I've had mine for a few years and it's one of the only good tools I got from there.

Good ole harbor freight. I may try to get them off tmmrw, let u guys know how it works out