Sign in to follow this  

2001 DRZ, kick start only - so frustrated!

I bought this 2001 DRZ (kickstart only) a few months ago and it's been having a terrible time with starting once it's hot.

About the bike and riding conditions -

2001 DRZ 400

FMF CorePower4 pipe

I live at about 6000ft, and ride straight up into the mountain from there

History of the problem and work done to it so far -

When I got it, it ran fine. Kicked over every time. Fuel would leak out of the carb when it wasn't running so I would just turn off the petcock to keep it from dripping. This worked for a while, but it started getting harder and harder to start once the bike was hot. Finally I fouled the spark plug and had to hitch hike home.

I took it into a shop where they drained the oil and found there was a large amount of gas mixed in with the oil. I bought a new o-ring for the needle, and went from a 150 to a 145 main jet. I put the o-ring and new jet in and it fired right up.

A short time later I had to replace what I believe is called the clutch crankcase gasket. I don't think this has anything to do with my continued problems, but I know very little about motos.

The bike ran great for about 3 weeks. Yesterday I stalled it going up some steep single track and it wouldn't start again. I let it cool down for a few minutes and then it started. Stalled it again on some real rocky technical trail and this time I had to wait about 8 minutes before it would start. We stopped at a vista and it just wouldn't start. I bump started it down the hill but it was real touchy after that.

When I got home yesterday I pulled the plug and it was black. I cleaned the plug, then replaced the 145 main jet with a 140. Put it back together and starts to cut out under about 1/2 throttle, then backfires. I pulled the oil dipstick and it smells like gas.

I don't think the jetting is my problem. Both 145 and 150 seem to work alright as long as there isn't gas in the oil. How do I find where the gas is leaking in from?!? A friend suggested that the bowl might be filling too much so I should adjust the float, but I can't find float specs for this carb. Please help!

I bought this 2001 DRZ (kickstart only) a few months ago and it's been having a terrible time with starting once it's hot.

About the bike and riding conditions -

2001 DRZ 400

FMF CorePower4 pipe

I live at about 6000ft, and ride straight up into the mountain from there

History of the problem and work done to it so far -

When I got it, it ran fine. Kicked over every time. Fuel would leak out of the carb when it wasn't running so I would just turn off the petcock to keep it from dripping. This worked for a while, but it started getting harder and harder to start once the bike was hot. Finally I fouled the spark plug and had to hitch hike home.

I took it into a shop where they drained the oil and found there was a large amount of gas mixed in with the oil. I bought a new o-ring for the needle, and went from a 150 to a 145 main jet. I put the o-ring and new jet in and it fired right up.

A short time later I had to replace what I believe is called the clutch crankcase gasket. I don't think this has anything to do with my continued problems, but I know very little about motos.

The bike ran great for about 3 weeks. Yesterday I stalled it going up some steep single track and it wouldn't start again. I let it cool down for a few minutes and then it started. Stalled it again on some real rocky technical trail and this time I had to wait about 8 minutes before it would start. We stopped at a vista and it just wouldn't start. I bump started it down the hill but it was real touchy after that.

When I got home yesterday I pulled the plug and it was black. I cleaned the plug, then replaced the 145 main jet with a 140. Put it back together and starts to cut out under about 1/2 throttle, then backfires. I pulled the oil dipstick and it smells like gas.

I don't think the jetting is my problem. Both 145 and 150 seem to work alright as long as there isn't gas in the oil. How do I find where the gas is leaking in from?!? A friend suggested that the bowl might be filling too much so I should adjust the float, but I can't find float specs for this carb. Please help!

It should be an FCR and if it is, the spec on the float heighth is 9mm.

http://www.carbparts.com/keihin/needles_tuning/jetting_your_carb.htm

1) Need to verify you have the FCR Keihin carb.

2) The FCR will have a high fuel level drain hose off the bottom. This should prevent gas from contaminating the oil even if the carb floods with fuel. So verify the drain is open and working.

3) The Kick start only models do not route crankcase fumes back in to the carb. It is an open vent. Even is the gas is contaminated with gas it should not affect running.

4) A kick start only model will have a manual fuel shout off valve. Turn the gas off when parked.

5) Considering the continuing problem - replace the carb float valve set. And adjust the float. The FCR float is 11mm (11 to 12). ------ 11mm not 9mm for the OEM FCR carb on your motorcycle. Might be 9 for other FCR's but not yours. If it is the Mukuni carb the float setting is 13mm (13 to 14). The adjustment is made when the float contacts the spring loaded tip of the float valve but does not depress the spring loaded tip.

A kick start only (DR-Z400) with the FCR carb has a "hot start" plunger on the carb. Use the hot start when restarting a hot motor.

Are you sure you have an original Kick start only model and not a home grown one made from an E or S model?

hey randm. I have a 2000 kick only drz. It can be a real pain in the ass to start when hot for sure. My advice, apart from what everyone else has said so far, is to use the hot start button, in fact I relocated my hotstart to the handlebar - I use it that often - there are a few manufacturers that make this setup. Also you might think about adding a fan to the radiator to keep the engine temps a bit cooler when you are riding slow, technical singletrack. good luck!

edit: Also when it is really hot, or maybee you have flooded it, try this procedure: hold the decomp lever down, open the throttle all the way (and hold it open) then kick it through maybee 10 - 15 times. This will help clear the cylinder and get a fresh fuel/air mixture ready to go. After this close the throttle, let the decomp lever reset, and kick it!

Edited by steve_k
  • Like 1