Sign in to follow this  

Any reason not to buy a 13?

So the 13's have been out for a year now, how are they holding up?

I ride it all offroad, GP's and MX, I always ride MX bikes, currently have a RMZ250 & 450. Cornering is the most important bike trait to me and the 13's seem to be getting good reviews for cornering. I also do some races where you need to hold the bike wide open in 5th for long periods of time so straightline handling is important too.

Does it feel light? My rmz4 does not, especially in tight woods.

What are the ergos like? Does the front end feel low? stinkbuggy?

Any common issues?

If it had a standard fork I wouldn't think twice.

Lay it on me..

Edited by TommyB 754

I have nothing bad to say about the bike really. Been riding MX both in winter and summertime. Holds up great, very light feeling, good balanced suspension, easy to use engine that hooks up to the ground and inspire to go faster.

I've really found a bike that suits me even better than my 2008 did ! The memory have start to fade a little about how that 08 felt but I feel that this 13 is the best overall bike I've ever had. Not the strongest engine by any means, but the most usefull engine. And a chassi and suspension that does what I want it to. Corners have never been my strong point , but with this bike I really feel better and more confident on doing hard corners.

No bad issues at all, love mine. No issues with fork seals yet. All good.

i agree with hrc 100%, i still have stock exhaust with removed backfire screen,i have added fuel all over and advanced the fuel overlap with a fuel programmer torque is perfect an exhaust will most likely be the icing on the cake

i agree with hrc 100%, i still have stock exhaust with removed backfire screen,i have added fuel all over and advanced the fuel overlap with a fuel programmer torque is perfect an exhaust will most likely be the icing on the cake

So mapping without exhaust would be advantageous? My bike is bone stock but everyone seems to be "pro" mapping.

there is more low end grunt with the stock pipe.

So far I really like mine. The forks handle great, the power is near perfect stock. I do smell a little fuel in my crankcase, but I don't think it is serious yet. I need to replace my shock spring with a stiffer one, I'll order one this week from RaceTech. Until then I'll hold off on my opinion on the rear suspention. You'll need a few new tools, I picked up a fork pump, but nothing for the mapping yet.

My next issue will be deciding on weather to send off my forks for re valve or keep them stock, good thing I have a few threads to follow!

Good luck!

So far I really like mine. The forks handle great, the power is near perfect stock. I do smell a little fuel in my crankcase, but I don't think it is serious yet. I need to replace my shock spring with a stiffer one, I'll order one this week from RaceTech. Until then I'll hold off on my opinion on the rear suspention. You'll need a few new tools, I picked up a fork pump, but nothing for the mapping yet.

My next issue will be deciding on weather to send off my forks for re valve or keep them stock, good thing I have a few threads to follow!

Good luck!

941mxvet, you are funny guy " the power is near perfect"...that means slow right? " I do smell a little gas in my crankcase but don't think it's serious yet"...because gas in the crank case is normal now? lol These are poor machines compared the the 07-08 models. The question was " any reason not to buy a 2013?" Yes there are two and the third would be that it cost $9,000! Just get a nice 07-08 and be happy, I know I am.

IMG_4174.JPG

941mxvet, you are funny guy " the power is near perfect"...that means slow right? " I do smell a little gas in my crankcase but don't think it's serious yet"...because gas in the crank case is normal now? lol These are poor machines compared the the 07-08 models. The question was " any reason not to buy a 2013?" Yes there are two and the third would be that it cost $9,000! Just get a nice 07-08 and be happy, I know I am.

Well I'm a +40 intermediate rider, so the power is pretty good for me, better than my '06 in that it is very linear and smooth. So yea "near perfect". While it is not normal for gas to leak into the crankcase, all FI CRF's seam to do this to a degree, yet there aren't many (any) lubrication related engine failures I've heard of. Keep an eye on it, and most of us change oil regularly enough anyway. As far as the costs go, you are correct, the price has gotten out of hand, while there are great deals to be had on the used market. Oh well, we make good money and enjoy MX so I won't complain about the cost.

By the way, I'm glad you are happy with the '08, they are great bikes.

• Like 1

I agree, if you don't mind used and know what to look for and ask about you can really save some cash. I love mine so far, a good upgrade from my 06, but I haven't put much time on it because of all the rain. One thing I am worried about is the header pipe getting dinged up.

Edited by thumper_racer

Saved commenting until I rode one... Very smooth manageable power, I really liked it. Also like the new chassis, feels light in the air, makes you sit further forward and hooks inside lines like a champ.

If i had the $$ I would definitely get one without a doubt. IMHO better than the 09-12 all round.

So the 13's have been out for a year now, how are they holding up?

I ride it all offroad, GP's and MX, I always ride MX bikes, currently have a RMZ250 & 450. Cornering is the most important bike trait to me and the 13's seem to be getting good reviews for cornering. I also do some races where you need to hold the bike wide open in 5th for long periods of time so straightline handling is important too.

Does it feel light? My rmz4 does not, especially in tight woods.

What are the ergos like? Does the front end feel low? stinkbuggy?

Any common issues?

If it had a standard fork I wouldn't think twice.

Lay it on me..

Just wondering what's your issue with the forks?

You can always sell the air forks and install a spring Showa or KYB fork.

The 2013 CRF450 is a really good bike. It is a lot better than the 2012. We have not had any issues with them and I would not worry about it being the first year. The motor has very useable flat power curve and it responds really well to head work and mapping

My son says the bike corners way better than the older chassis and it feels a good bit lighter. He ran the KYB suspension for some time and we never had any issues with the air forks and the bike worked really good, much better than the 2012. My son now however, runs Showa suspension with 21mm triple clamps and a PR2 knuckle and link on his 2013 450 and likes it even better.

GYD, who shortened and revalved the Showa shock, and how's the Showa shock/forks working out?

The 2013 CRF450 is a really good bike. It is a lot better than the 2012. We have not had any issues with them and I would not worry about it being the first year. The motor has very useable flat power curve and it responds really well to head work and mapping

My son says the bike corners way better than the older chassis and it feels a good bit lighter. He ran the KYB suspension for some time and we never had any issues with the air forks and the bike worked really good, much better than the 2012. My son now however, runs Showa suspension with 21mm triple clamps and a PR2 knuckle and link on his 2013 450 and likes it even better.

My son has all the same comments about his 13.

However he has no issue with the forks. He was able to qualify for 3 out of 4 AMA Pro Nationals with the stock forks, right down to the OEM fluid and level. He felt they were that good.

Even though he didn't approve, I had the FC fork revalve treatment last week since the rear shock needed freshening up, and I was going there anyway. We run the remote res on the rear. This past weekend he raced the Canadian Pro National at Gopher Dunes in Ontario. With the Factory Connection treatment, the bike was good enough to set the fastest lap time on a really rough track in moto 2, and lead 13 of 39 total laps in both MX1 moto's.

Unfortunately none of the laps led were the last lap. But we have improved results each week.

I've posted many times to this forum my opinion of how good these bikes are. The more work I do on them and with them the higher my opinion goes.

The 2013 is the best of any of the past or current 450's, mapping cam,ported head, beyond good. I've rode all of them , liked the kx, ktm,and the new 14 yz. The honda just feels right,turns,jumps,stable in the rough,good power(little flat on top stock needs mapping).Buy as new as you can afford. It's much better than the 2005-2008 450,go ride one back to back ,the older honda feels heavy compared to the 2013.The fuel in oil is bs I live in socal ride every week never heard of any honda owners saying they had gas in the crankcase,FI is the way to go. GO BUY YOURSELF A NEW HONDA ALREADY!

• Like 1

Man, love my bike but even more now! Thanks for all the opinions, great thread!

They might "feel" lighter but in fact they gained about 5 pounds and now make less horsepower than any other 450 including the KTM 350 at peak! Maybe it's your wallet that "feels" lighter? LOL My 2007 is as good or better than any of the newer Honda's and it's paid for. Now you can argue that with all this aftermarket stuff you can make it good or great, but so could I with my 07 and after paying $9,000 for a new bike do you really want to go out and spend another $3,000 to make it even with all the other bikes? I sure don't. but maybe you just have to have a "new" bike to feel good about yourself and if that's the case then the 13 or the 14 model is the way to go, and you can send all your extra money to me. 🙄