Sign in to follow this  

Any reason not to buy a 13?

They might "feel" lighter but in fact they gained about 5 pounds and now make less horsepower than any other 450 including the KTM 350 at peak! Maybe it's your wallet that "feels" lighter? LOL My 2007 is as good or better than any of the newer Honda's and it's paid for. Now you can argue that with all this aftermarket stuff you can make it good or great, but so could I with my 07 and after paying $9,000 for a new bike do you really want to go out and spend another $3,000 to make it even with all the other bikes? I sure don't. but maybe you just have to have a "new" bike to feel good about yourself and if that's the case then the 13 or the 14 model is the way to go, and you can send all your extra money to me. :rolleyes:

So what did you think after you rode the 2013 and got back on the 07? :rolleyes:

I also have a "paid for" CRF and after riding the 13 I want one, nothing to do with "feeling good about myself" either.. Stock would be just fine.

Well If you have the money and want the shinny new one I say go for it! I was trying to answer the original question of " Any reasons not to buy a 13?" So I gave some reasons. If you guys don't like the answers then don't ask the question. :thumbsup:

GYD, who shortened and revalved the Showa shock, and how's the Showa shock/forks working out?

The Showa suspension is the Pro-Circuit SFF A-Kit specifically made for the 2013 CRF450, not a 250f set modified. My son was happy with the KYB after getting it set up for him but, he likes the A-Kit a lot better when the track is really rough. The smoother the track, the less difference there is.

The 2013 crf 450 gained 3 pounds over the 2012 and the 2009-11 already gained 2 pounds = 5. Funny thing because 5 is also the number of horsepower the CRF is down in 2013 to it's competition.

Mark 007 don't hate the 05-08 hondas are good bikes. Stock to stock the 13 is better I've had 05 with clamps 490kit etc.won lots of races on that bike the 13 is a better package. Yes new bikes kill, and I always have one ,sorry I'm able to do that. Don't hate my cash flow.

• Like 1

ok guys enough bashing, I was just answering a question that was posted. Just for the record I can buy any bike I want, in fact I could by 20 of them but I choose not because in my opinion they are not better than what is already in my garage. I will not reply to this thread again it has becoming stupid. You all take care now!

IMG_4168.JPG

mark 007 you made it stupid,no one else.You love your 07 cool,kid won LL pre-race on a1985 cr250 ,if your fast ,your fast on anything.The 13-14 crf450 is the best of the crf450s .Next year who knows or cares.

Edited by galligar

I've owned an 05 & 06 model, also ridden a well set up 08 by a local vet rider close in weight that felt similiar. Previuosly had an 09 & now own a 10 that I feel a noticeable weight difference to the previous carb models. The 09-12 feel a lot lighter, agile, nimble & turn a lot better than the 05-08 bikes in comparison. With just a $50 remap mod the powerband can be enhanced & be more useable so it doesn't fall up top (feel flat). Just because the power feels smoother it doesn't necesarily mean it's slow. I've ridden a well set up 11 with Yosh exhaust, remap, cam & higher comp. piston & it had more than enough juice.

The 2 reasons not to own one are if you can't afford it or waiting for the 14 models to come out...

Edited by H4L

The weight and peak horsepower are not issues that should stop someone from getting a 2013 CRF450. I think the 2013 is the best 450 Honda has ever built. It may be 3 lbs heavier than the 2012 but, it is still the lightest 450 in 2013 and the new chassis carries it’s weight way better than any other 450. No 450 feels as light and maneuverable as the 2013 CRF450. In addition, the 2013 Honda turns so much better than any other Honda 450.

Regarding it’s peak hp, the Honda is 3-5 hp peak down from the rest of the 2013 450’s, only the KTM is 5hp peak more. With a 450 however, peak hp is not all that important. The key to a good 450 is the torque curve and the 2013 Honda has a really good torque curve. The 2013 also responds really well to mapping and head porting.

Galliger didnt you just get a new 14 yz 450? How does it compare to the 13 crf? I have a 13 crf and really like it alot but I would like to try a yz out maybe. I think the yz should have came with air forks, I love mine best forks I have ever had.

rk8950 the yz is very light feeling(250 like) and thin.The 14 is my friends but I've ridden it enough to get a feel for it. The honda turns better,feels hooked up more than the yz.Motor needs a better fuel map(alittle lean) hondas stock is worse.Yz is still on the tall side,much better bike than 10-13 yz.My hondas motor is ported,hi-comp piston,cam ,pipe & vortex ecu.hard to compare motors,all stock bikes feel weak compared to it.My bike with the motor work is so easy to ride,I hate riding anything else.

2013 HAS 10.2 HRS ON IT. GAS IN OIL. PULLED DIP STICK OUT OF CRANKCASE AND THE GAS OVERFLOWED. SO IAM HERE TO TELL YOU THAT GAS IN THE OIL ON A 2013 IS NOT BS. SOME OF YOU MAY THINK IT IS AND THAT DONT SURPRISE ME SINCE 2 HONDA DEALERS SAID IN SO MANY WORDS THEY NEVER HEARD OF THE PROBLEM AND IN 5 WORDS "RACE BIKES ARE NOT WARRENTY". I HAVE FOUND ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE PROBLEM BUT NO SOLUTION. I HAVE TO CHANGE THE OIL EVERYTIME I START THE BIKE AND SHUT IT DOWN. AFTER 8500 AND SUCH LOW HOURS I FEEL THATS A BIT MUCH. SO IF ANYONE KNOWS OF SOMETHING I CAN DO TO REMEDY THIS PROBLEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I COULD USE THE HELP OR SOME IDEAS.

All brands of efi bikes have this issue from time to time, it's from a bad or dirty fuel injector. They leak fuel after you shut them down, since the fuel injector is under constant pressure, when they leak the fuel seeps past the rings into the crankcase.

You can try cleaning it, but at $80-$100 I would just replace it.

Fuel and your crank bearings won't get along well for very long, then we all know how much that will cost to fix.

Jason

Had to reply bc i have the 07 and 13 in my garage. Also had the 09. All are great and the 07 is so good that i kept it and sold the 09 and bought the 13. Have holeshot and won on all bikes the 13 is an amazing package. It feels lighter than the 07 and stock it has more power than the 09. The 07 is def explosive but the 13 makes all the others feel vintage. Refined is the best way to word it

2013-03-28 09.07.32.jpg

2013-02-23 17.35.32.jpg

Also wd like to add that out several frnds that also have the 13 none have had issues w forks. I rarely see a dif in pressure when in garage. It does go up during moto but when it cools, the pressure goes to normal.

13 is a good bike.

it is heavier than the 08 , my buddy rides an 08 and when we load/unload the 08 and 13 you can for sure feel the extra weight on the 13. 

I came off a 06 crf450r the efi is nice, but the biggest thing was the way it turned.

Go buy one get a 13 for a good deal, there are no bugs to work out. 

I will say that my clutch started slipping pretty bad at 17 hours.