Sign in to follow this  

Any reason not to buy a 13?

The '13 CRF450 has 12-15 more HP at 3500 RPM's than the KX450F, so it will shred the clutch or the rear tire. At 33 HP at 3500 RPM's it is a monster, but from 8500+ the CRF is soft on power, but NOTHING makes as much low end power as the new Honda. Even the KTM 450SX doesn't start making over 30 HP until 5200 RPM.

Change the cam and move the power to the area you want it.

Jason

The '13 CRF450 has 12-15 more HP at 3500 RPM's than the KX450F, so it will shred the clutch or the rear tire. At 33 HP at 3500 RPM's it is a monster, but from 8500+ the CRF is soft on power, but NOTHING makes as much low end power as the new Honda. Even the KTM 450SX doesn't start making over 30 HP until 5200 RPM.

Change the cam and move the power to the area you want it.

Jason

33hp at 3,500rpm implies that the CRF has roughly 49.5lb-ft of torque at 3,500rpm which absolutely ain't happenin'. I would be VERY happy with half that... You got you numbers crossed or mixed up somewhere along the line...

Edited by Eddie8v

What the heck kind of math are you using?

Why would it have to have 49 ft lb?

Here is the only dyno chart I have on my phone that starts early enough.

47C6CEC1-1824-4DE3-90F4-6A930E67EC60-102

Jason

Is it common to have a bad or dirty injector after 10.2 hrs. What causes that? Could it be the way it is run or not? Thanks for the help framebreaker.

It all depends on the fuel you run, how dirty it is, if it has ethanol in it and if it sets in the tank for a few weeks at a time.

Usually in 10 hours it's just a bad injector.

Jason

Is it common to have a bad or dirty injector after 10.2 hrs. What causes that? Could it be the way it is run or not? Thanks for the help framebreaker.

Usually contaminiants in the fuel, ie dust particles or debris, usually destroy an injector.

As for the 13 honday i cant think of one reason to buy one! Ive had loads of bikes in my time and this is the best honda ive owned. If you buy one, ditch the stock chain and the grips, and add the crf stuff or slipstream valve. Thats all the bike needs, oh and ditch the backfire screen, really seems to open the bike up

What the heck kind of math are you using?

Why would it have to have 49 ft lb?

Here is the only dyno chart I have on my phone that starts early enough.

47C6CEC1-1824-4DE3-90F4-6A930E67EC60-102

Jason

I am using the only math for the solution:

HP = TQ x (rpm/5,252)

Solved for TQ:

TQ = HP x (5,252/rpm)

Do you realize that your graph has two different y axis? Left-side is for the HP graph and right-side is for the torque graph, and each axis has a different scale. You're reading the torque graph to the HP's y-axis instead of the HP graph to the HP y-axis. It's a simple mistake that you'll likely not make again.

At 3,500rpm, the bike in that Yoshi graph is making about 22lb-ft of torque = 15hp.

HP is a calculated number based upon tq and rpm. TQ=HP at 5,252 rpm. HP is double the torque output at 10,504rpm.

Edited by Eddie8v

Yep, I sure did. Even though it's a estimated calculation, I didn't look at the comparison or do the math and my boss is now laughing at me. How you measure the torque is the most important part. You can't just say take the HPx5252/RPM=T or visa versa without having an accurate way to measure the torque first. Even the MXA Shoot out showed the CRF higher than the KX, yet they said it was lower in power and they couldn't clear a certain jump on it. I had the same issues last October, then learned to short shift to four and problem solved due to the low end grunt. Just not a comfortable feeling hitting a 90ft jump at below 6000rpm, feels wrong. I could clear it in 3rd with a 48 on the rear, but not with a 49, I had to shift to 4th.

I no longer have that awesome low end grunt, as I traded it for more top end.

I would like to see a dyno sheet from 3000+, one from a trusted builder that hasn't adjusted the scale.

My last CRF450 was dyno'ed at 58hp at 9800rpm and only 4.2hp at 3500rpm. It didn't make 15hp until 4500rpm.

The '13 has way more low end than any of my last bikes, including my '08. Overall I love the 2013 CRF450 and I think they are great bikes.

Jason

Edited by Framebreaker

All dynos measure torque and calculate the HP with that formula...

Yes, that's what I was trying to say, that I know this and I was stupid for not comparing the two, to see I was reading the HP wrong. I knew the '13 was a lot stronger and never really knew how weak the older models were at 3000rpm. I mean who cared, right? But, I had tire and clutch wear way worse than any other bike I have ever owned.

So anyway, my brain fart, but they seem to have 3x the HP the older models down that low.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Jason

Framebreaker didn't really mean 3x more ,he meant the 13 has better low end then past models, or it feels that way , stop picking the fly _ hit out of the pepper.

I took it he meant literally. The lower-rpm data is typically garbage anyhow... it's all good.

You can have 2 bikes on the same inertia dyno showing identical graphs and they will have completley different personalitys on the track you have to use a steady state dyno to see the differences in power @ partial throttle openings and that will still only show a trend this is why track testing is nessary as well as dyno testing. I had to weld the kawaskis ports up both exhaust and intake and redesighn the port shape to get the proper velocitys as well as a gain in flow to make hp match up or exceed the hondas i expect the kaws to have new ports in the next couple of years.The KTM needs the same treatment and i have also adressed them with both new ports.

I've rode and raced mine with about 25 race hours on it now and my only complaint is how bloody terrible the clutch pull is.

Everything holds up well, it corners well etc etc.

They might "feel" lighter but in fact they gained about 5 pounds and now make less horsepower than any other 450 including the KTM 350 at peak! Maybe it's your wallet that "feels" lighter? LOL My 2007 is as good or better than any of the newer Honda's and it's paid for. Now you can argue that with all this aftermarket stuff you can make it good or great, but so could I with my 07 and after paying $9,000 for a new bike do you really want to go out and spend another $3,000 to make it even with all the other bikes? I sure don't. but maybe you just have to have a "new" bike to feel good about yourself and if that's the case then the 13 or the 14 model is the way to go, and you can send all your extra money to me. :rolleyes:

Mark, 

I must say that this is the first time I actually saw a post that I 'just had to comment on.'  

First of all, have you even ridden a '13 CRF450?  There's always people like you on this forum that just have nothing of value to add to this conversation, other than talk about something they dont know or don't have.  I get a new bike every year, and I can say the '13 CRF450 is one of the best handling/ cornering bikes I have ever owned (stock).  The engine is a little un-inspiring though.

Your 2007, will never be a 2013 in terms of cornering, or the way the bike feels in the air (unless you have a Showa A-kit on it, which I doubt you do).  Your 2007 still has a Carb, and is not F.I.

About the only thing I agree on is that its the rider, and not the bike.  God knows I've been smoked by plenty of 5-7 year old bikes, and plenty of 12 year olds.  Buying a new bike 'does make people feel better' (Myself included).  Personally If I was buying a '14 model, I would look at the KTM, Yami, or Kawi.  

Anybody running Sunline, or ASV levers? I'm thinking about getting some to assist with the weird clutch pull. I've got Sunlines on my '06 and they did smooth out the clutch a lot.

One more reason to not buy a '13 CRF, no oil site glass, this has added seconds, if not minutes to my pre ride routine.