Sign in to follow this  

2006 CRF250 X Canadian model

New to me, love the bike has a dead spot in the throttle. I am pretty sure it's a jetting/dirty carb thing. But what i want to do is take the carb out, pull the jets, and clean as it sat for 4 years.. So can someone give me a personal jetting project maintaining the stock exhaust. I will modify the airbox and remove the screen as i've read. But i prefer to just richen it up a little.

So my altitude where i ride is goes from 500 to 1200ft above sea level with Stock jets, and stock AP setup up. I would like to optimize the jets for this area as i don't go anywhere else. I see the AP mod (orings) and like that idea as well, but something about changing the leak jet as well confuses me. If i pull the carb is it worth putting on a boysen AP? I'm a trail rider but there is some Km's of straights that we can open up on. So with this in mind average temp is 15 to 30 degrees celcious. I look at the chart and i see the 49 state stuff and California etc.. just want some personalized recomended jetting for a bit more response, bottom/mid end. Bike goes but it could be just a bit better and probably run a bit cooler with a richer jetting on those 30 celcius days. Thanks for reading your knowledge and experience is well received and appreciated! Thanks

I will check the link out thanks.. I did spend 3 bucks on an app that supposed to do jetting? but the app is telling me to go down 2 on my main from 130 to 128. and down one on my pilot lol.. could be right i don't know but i think I will seek experience over a computer app. So far most research puts me up two on the pilot and up 5 on the main.

This bike is pretty amazing as is!

I live just north of Toronto and ride in the Barrie/Simcoe County area, on a 2004 CRF250x (upgraded from my 1st bike - a ttR230 - looks like you did the same?).

I bought the bike with stock exhaust, and noticed that some jetting had already been done. The pilot was stock (40), but it was fitted with a 152 main (and it ran great - good starting point for you). I put on an FMF Q4 slip-on (stock header + cut airbox), upp'd the pilot to a 42, and the main to a 158. The bike rips - I don't get any hesitation across the full throttle range. I probably could've kept experimenting with a 45 pilot and a 160/65 main, but I'm pretty happy with where it's at. I wouldn't worry about the leak jet.

I don't know if the previous owner did the AP mod - I found it pretty hard to check, so I left it alone because I wasn't experiencing any lag/bog/hesitation. The bike responds no matter how fast I crack the throttle. It's fantastic. (p.s. lube your cables and clean your throttle tube - i replaced mine with aluminum because i'm picky about smooth/instant response - found it helped)

I would also recommend changing out the fuel screw with one that has an extension that makes it easier to adjust on the fly. I bought the Kouba Link brass t-handle screw. Definitely recommended to fine tune the bike.

Good luck

• Like 1

Thank you, that is great news, and a good starting point for sure. Thanks!

FYI - I also have an '06 and ride at similar altitudes. I also opened up the airbox to CCC spec, removed the BF screen, and left the exhaust and exh insert stock. I upped the pilot to a 45 (42 is too lean), w/ fuel screw @ 2 1/4 turns out for 75-80 deg. I also dropped the needle clip on the stock needle to position #6 (down 2 slots from stock) and used either a 155 or 158 main - can't remember which. Lastly, I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket (to a 13T) - that alone makes it a whole new bike. 2nd and 3rd gears are a little far apart and have a dead-spot between them - the 13T sprocket tightens that up.

• Like 1

My update so far, Leak jet #70 installed, part number 99108-krn0700, went with a 45 pilot or slow jet part number 99103-gbf0450, and a main jet of 155 part number 99113-ghb1550. One thing i ran into when giving the Honda guy part numbers, the guy couldn't order it in the system (he could find it on the inventory list, but couldn't fill the order sheet because of a (dash - ) 99103-gbf-0450. So if ya run into this little 20 min wait time tell to take the last dash out.. 🙂 Anyhow back to the tech talk, my airscrew sits firmly at the 2 turns out, my idle adjustement is firmly 3 turns out? Not sure if that's around normal for the idle screw or if it's even relevant. I took the time to "wire" up my Accelerator pump arm. did the 13 tooth front sprocket, extended fuel screw as well as drop the needle to the 4th postiion. Airbox mod 4x4 inch and -i'm not sure about this, but i took the exhaust baffle out that slides into the screen/tube spark arrestor? Is that okay or will it make it run lean again? I like the stock exhaust, no packing, stainless steel 🙂 Sounds pretty dam throaty with that little 6 inch baffle/plug thing out and not screaming loud??

I think i may change the pink plug wire position to the blank spot tomorrow but i'm kinda on the fence about that? lose bottom end gain high end from the debate i read?

From what i can tell from before and after with the throttle... seem like it's instant, no bog that i can tell. I will test it this weekend, maybe tomorrow if i can get out but there is a noticeable difference. And yep a big thanks for the ballpark directions guys.

Thanks Davis77 and Jayc250x