Sign in to follow this  

2008 kx250f suspension settings

Alright guys im 220lbs and 6 foot how would i go about setting my suspension for trail riding??

Alright guys im 220lbs and 6 foot how would i go about setting my suspension for trail riding??

At a minimum you need to get stiffer springs. The bike is designed for a 160lb rider for MX. Go to http://racetech.com/VehicleSearch and use the spring rate chart there as a start. Revalving may be needed too so the bike is more plush in the woods. But for now springs and mess with the clickers.

Edited by KX290F Pilot

At a minimum you need to get stiffer springs. The bike is designed for a 160lb rider for MX. Go to http://racetech.com/VehicleSearch and use the spring rate chart there as a start. Revalving may be needed too so the bike is more plush in the woods. But for now springs and mess with the clickers.

is there no possible way that i can ride it the way it is??

You can ride it like that for sure. Its just that your suspension won't react properly to the terrain.

is there no possible way that i can ride it the way it is??

You can still ride it with the lighter springs but the forks and shock will blow through the stroke and possibly bottom out even with trail riding. Depends how aggressive of a rider you are. If you want it to work optimally you should start with the right spring rates and set the shock race sag. That would be a base to start at. I am assuming the suspension feels bad at this point and to get it better you need to start with the springs first.

okay well im not too agressive and the springs on the 250 would still feel alot better then the stock 230 springs correct?? also i cant figure out what spring rate i would need....

okay well im not too agressive and the springs on the 250 would still feel alot better then the stock 230 springs correct?? also i cant figure out what spring rate i would need....

Click on the link for Race Tech I posted for you already. You can figure it out on that website for free.

i tried but i cant seem to figure out the thing i put in all my info my height weight and all that but what numbers do i need to look at once it gives me the chart or whatever you want to call it

i tried but i cant seem to figure out the thing i put in all my info my height weight and all that but what numbers do i need to look at once it gives me the chart or whatever you want to call it

Once you enter all that it produces a page with stock spring rates and suggested spring rates with the info you entered. For instance stock fork spring rate is .44kg it may recommend .49kg for your weight or very close to that. Shock spring rate 5.1kg stock but recommends a 5.6kg for your weight or closest size available.

RT FRK SPR 42.7x493mm .49 is for the front

RT SHK SPR 66.9x64x267 5.7kg for the back but how do i cange those?? what would it cost for a dealer to do it?

A lot of dealers won't touch them. I know my local dealer won't change out springs and valving for me. Sometimes you can find a good local suspension guy to do it for you, or you can take them off and send them to Race Tech and they will do it all for you. Rates are all listed on the website.

RT FRK SPR 42.7x493mm .49 is for the front

RT SHK SPR 66.9x64x267 5.7kg for the back but how do i cange those?? what would it cost for a dealer to do it?

Not sure how much since I always do them myself. Your best bet is to find a local suspension tuner in Ontario. The shock is way easier than the forks since the spring is external. The forks are harder of course, because there is two of them, and the springs are located internally, requiring a lot more experience to take them apart. My best guess is $200.00 US for just the labor if you give them the springs to install.