Sign in to follow this  

Convincing my dad to let me get a 450

So i have decided that instead of buying another 250 i want to ungrade and buy a 450. There is only one problem i am 14 and my dad doesnt think i need or could handle one so therefore at the present moment he wont allow me to by one. I know very well that i could. So what i am looking for is some of the advantages of having a 450 over a 250 to convince my dad. Please also list some disadvantages for my own knowledge. The bike will be used for Motocross racing in the schoolboy, collegeboy and open c divisions. Thanks, Jared

U can handle it but not race it your just too young and not ready I'd stick with the250 for now age and time are the key

Made the move from a 125 to a 450 and let me tell you I got my butt kicked. Two different worlds of power but more than I need. Hardly ever use anything other than 2nd or 3rd gear at the track. Would be cool to have a big bike at 14 and maybe you can convince your dad to let you but really its you are decision your the one riding it. The 450 will have a lot more power than the 250 that will rip your arms off. Will you be taking the bike for a ride or will it be riding you? Are you looking at getting carbed or FI? I would say make the move up if your out driving the 250 but the 250 is a good all around size. I dont think at 14 body height and weight is a concern for a 250 but you could also grow into the 450. 250 will be lighter in weight and easier to throw around.

Edited by MX1010

I am only 19 and got my first 450 at 18. It has ridiculous power. I have to agree with the other people. A 450 for a 14 year old would be too much. My brother is 16 and he is on a 250. He can't even use all the power yet. Unless you are a motocross prodigy, I would stay with a 250.

Edited by D-rek07

You are riding Open C I seen, and yea, the 450 would be nice for that. I know I can always tell the guy ridin a 450 when I am near them. Mostly because the long sandy straight is where they finally pass me. Not sayin im FAST, i get passed a bit myself. Just in OPEN C....itd be nice to not be disadvantaged riding a 250 vs. 450 at your current level. On the flip side of that, you are an open C rider. My guess is, you could get a lot more out of a 250 by just getting better overall. And, without seeing you ride, knowing your size/weight...and maybe cuz im a lil older, but only a lil bit wiser...id have to side with the old man on this one.

I don't see a problem upgrading to a better bike (still 250), improving your skills, and maybe re-thinkin bout this at say 17ish. The 450 is a lot more bike then it seems, and more then I think some people need, lol.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

You cant race a 450 in schoolboy, it used to be you couldn't even race a 450 till you were 16. The only advantage i could see is it might last a little longer, or a whole lot longer when you get hurt and cant ride it. Until your atleast a B rider you dont need it, no C rider needs a 450.

My 15yo does great on a 450 but he prefers his yz250 2stroke, He was moving up from RM144 and I gave him a choice.

Good thing about s 450 is you won't be on the rev limiter like the 250 so it will last a lot longer. IMO

Bad thing is you will be limited to your race classes. Im pretty sure schoolboy will not allow 450's. So you need to think about that

as you might want to do some 13-15yo races and others that will not allow a 450 either.

You really need to be in shape if you plan on a 450, just be realistic.

You (your dad) earned the money, buy what you (your dad) writes the check for. However, a 450 is not an upgrade, it is a different size bike and runs in a different class. If you think you will be faster, you are mistaken. Fast riders have skill. Wouldn't you rather be fast?

• Like 2

I dont plan to use even 50% of the power or speed for at least a few years. The bind i am in is that my current bike ( 2006 crf250r) is starting to be i little bit of a money pit. So i want to get rid of it and get a new bike. The other problem is I am paying for MY bike. My dad IS NOT writing the check! I plan to buy the new bike at the end of this year. In a few years when i would be better prepared to ride a 450 i wont have the money to buy one! The optimal time to buy a new bike is now. I will need a truck and need to save for college. Am i incorrect that a 450 just like a 250 has much more power but still only goes as fast as you make it?

Thanks again

450 does have more power and no you don't need to use it, but if you twist the throttle too far on a 450 the results could be pretty painful. How is your current bike becoming a money pit?

If your current bike is a "money pit", why would you buy another 4 stroke? A 450 might be a little more reliable, but still way more expensive when something goes wrong than a smoker. The right bike would be a 125 or 150, but you could probably ride a 250.

Didn't read all the other posts but I got an itch you had a 250f. I bet a yz250 would be fine for you. I have had 250f's and 450f's. I ride a 09 450fe Husaberg sumo'd out for the road. For the road I feel there's not enough power for me. I can power wheelie right through fourth gear. But I feel there should be more torque in the higher rpms. I want a 570cc+ bike next year for the road. For the dirt it's hard to throw her around in the tight sections but is lots of fun doing some hill climbs. Wears me out riding it in the slow sections. I love 250s and f's for the dirt and that's what I'm gunna get after I upgrade my current bike. Btw I'm 190lbs

Yeah I would have to agree with Tom, get a 250 2 stroke. Its not going to have the torque of a 450 but will be faster than the 250f and, if ridden right can beat many 450's. Its about the rider not how fast the bike can go. A 250 2t can also race in the 250 4t classes unlike the 450.

I don't race, I ride trails and I have a 2005 CRF250X. My dad has a KTM 450EXC-R and it is a beast to ride (I'm 15) but I prefer it over my 250. Even though I most likely wont utilize all of the bike's power when I'm hittin' the trails, I do use it on the streets between trails. I also enjoy knowing that if I need a quick massive burst of power, I can just twist the throttle. It also sounds amazing, almost as awesome as when I take my spark arrestor off of my 250. I would take a 450 over a 250 any day. But thats just the opinion of a crazy 15 year old that has barely any track experience and sits at home playin' bass and ridin' dirt bikes all day :D

A bigger bike will not make you a faster rider. More cc’s does not translate into more speed. I’ve seen semi-pro riders on 125 2Ts “race” around the track with amateurs on 250’s and 450’s whipping the butts off the amateurs. If you are after more speed, become a better rider.

As to whether a 14 year old can ride a 450? At 17 I was riding 400cc 2Ts. It all depends on your stature and ability. But it is better to be safe than sorry with a motorcycle.

It's all on how you ride it. I bought my FIRST ever bike last year and it was a 450. I just take it easy and I haven't had any big crashes yet. I don't ride hard though and I'm 6'1 250 but again it's all in how you ride it. I mean there's people that drive Ferraris slow when they have to. My bike is really heavy but I just love having the smooth power(48 tooth rear) when I need it!