Sign in to follow this  

Anyone Ride Dual-Up on a DR650SE?

Can anyone who's ridden dual-up, i.e, rider plus passenger, on a DR650E provide your opinion on this bike as to performance and handling? Any information provided will be appreciated.

The DR works as well or better than any other 650 single. I did the fork upgrade with intiminators and a cogent rear shock that made the suspension handle the extra weight of a passenger way better without the diving fork and soggy rear shock that grace almost all of the 650s.I would have an other one in a hartbeat -- still sorry that I sold it -- riding to much single tack with the orange brigades.

The DR works as well or better than any other 650 single. I did the fork upgrade with intiminators and a cogent rear shock that made the suspension handle the extra weight of a passenger way better without the diving fork and soggy rear shock that grace almost all of the 650s.I would have an other one in a hartbeat -- still sorry that I sold it -- riding to much single tack with the orange brigades.

The dealer didn't have a 650 assembled but we could view it in a crate. He'll have it assembled before Monday. We're going back on Monday and both of us will sit on the bike. If both of us agree it's OK, it looks like it's going to be a go. If so, we'll most likely have it lowered. He said he could do that for $100 and it would take around 20 minutes. He did have a 400 and both of us sat on the bike. It didn't work for us.

The 650 is a good bike , a bit underrated IMO .

Took the DR650 out for a 20 minute test ride around the property yesterday. First time back on a bike in over 40 years. First three attempted starts were stalls. Fourth start was a rocket launch that left a 10 foot rut in the grass. Definitely need to learn the throttle. Rode around the lawn a couple times. A few more stalls when attempting tight circles. Wife told me to get off the lawn. Rode up and down the gravel driveway a few times. Got better and better. Surprised how quickly I was picking it back up after 40 years in only 20 minutes. Probably can't get out of first gear until I get off the property and on the main road where I have some long straightaways.

• Like 1

practice starting without touching the throttle at all. You should be able to get going without touching it, and just feathering the clutch. ride with one finger on each lever at all times off the slab

practice starting without touching the throttle at all. You should be able to get going without touching it, and just feathering the clutch. ride with one finger on each lever at all times off the slab

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it next time out.

• Like 1

If you have not been riding anything for the length of time you describe you might want to consider locating a Motorcycle Safety Foundation training class in your community and take it.

I've really enjoyed my DR650 since purchased in April. It's good to not have to trailer my motorcycle each time I get the urge to ride and commuting to work has been nice. Whether it is a good candidate for two-up riding will depend on the size of the people involved, how comfortable they expect to be while riding, and the distance they intend to travel.

Good luck with your new machine.