Sign in to follow this  

Leak and cant find it..

Hey Thumpertalk, I recently purchased a 2005 Drz400s and am really enjoying it, my last and first bike was a ninja 250. The problem I am having is that my bike is leaking what I think is coolant (green liquid). This has only happened on two of the rides I have had and if I let it run on idle it doesn't seem to leak. After some research I am wondering if it is the waterpump leak? or it could be a hose but wouldn't that leak if I let it idle? Any advice would be great. Thanks

mine had a small leak one day that was like your's (only after it was running) mine turned out to be bolts loosened up slightly on the waterpump. Snugged them up and it's be good since.

If you run the bike and put a clean cloth under the bike, where are you seeing the drops on the cloth? It could be leaking by the pump,hoses, rads, the lines going to the overflow can or the overflow can it's self. Best thing is to find the coolant on the bike (it will just be visable) and back track it from there.

So I went out for a ride today to get the bike warmed up hoping that it would leak, so I could see on the cloth I put under the bike. For some reason it did not leak at all.. so now I am kinda at a loss, should I keep riding it and just putting the cloth under everytime to check? Also, something new I noticed is that the throttle felt stiff a few times when I was riding today, It would only happen when I would get back on the throttle, and was very minor and only for a small segment when hitting the thottle. Any ideas guys?

My turkey baster mod used to over flow when the bike got hot (I was running 50/50 premix). Do you still have the OEM coolant tank?