Sign in to follow this  

Whats a stock fuel tank worth?

The guy that sold me my bike just located the stock tank in his garage. Offered it to me for $100, but I kinda like the Clarke tank that came on the bike. He said he'd give me first shot at it before it goes to CL or eBay for more. He said it still has the locking cap.

Anybody interested I can put you in touch or be the middleman.

Erik

There has been two for sale around me on CL. One new for $75 and a good condition one for also 75. I'm not sure if either had fuel caps...

I see them on CL all the time, for $50-100, but that is asking price...

That is a real DB move on his part imo, you bought the bike from him, its a common decency to include all stock or take off parts with the bike, not to later on say i found it, and ill sell it to you, real DB move imho.

When i bought me bike, it came with a brand new IMS 3.2 gallon tank, and he also gave me the stock tank, which only had one tank of use on it, pretty much new too.

Oh, and 100 is not a deal at all for a stock tank, plenty people replace the stock tanks, so you can find tons of stock ones for cheap.

• Like 3

I have an 06' and bought an 07' that was CL just because I didn't like that ghost decal thing and I was going to powder paint it anyway. Talked him into $25.....totally clean, 1 small scratch that only grazed the clear coat.....They are out there for cheap, but timing is everything as they say. 🙄

Edited by Signman606
  • Like 1

Cool, appreciate the input. I really have no plan to change the current tank (though down the line I am already thinking a crossover tube would be nice to get the fuel from the lower right side, to the left side where the pickup is.

Just thought I'd try to keep the community stocked with spare stuff if need be. I dont care if the stock stuff is separate, I didnt want it anyways. He gave me a good deal on the bike, came with some goodies for no extra mark up, I aint complaining. I'll let him sell it on his own, and keep the 4 gallon Clarke to myself.

Erik

Price depends on demand , suitability ( is it the same graphics as the rest of your bike) and condition.....

a used tank that has corn juice sitting in it may have other issues...

a new fuel tank and cap is around $780 new... so a tank for $100 in good shape would be a bargain ..https://www.thumpert...2007&model=5207

BTW ...I have a Mint condition 2009 SM tank and plastics (removed when new ) I was going to sell soon.....pity you weren't in Australia , as the postage would probably be pretty high....Like the one below....

Usedweb011.jpg

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Buying without an inspection would be a concern in the land of Corn Juice... :eek:

Never considered that .. Buying used Corn juiced infested vehicles ... What a nightmare .... I am thankful that I am here ( Down Under )

I would agree with ron in my opinion thats messed up... he knew where that tank was he was just trying to make an extra hundred bucks on you... o well his loss he probably wont get it sold anywhere and will offer it up to you for free lol

• Like 1