Sign in to follow this  

Carbon Fiber pipe guard deteriorating

10.5 hrs on my bike and this is what is happening. Anyone else have had this happen?

972205_649794968365289_2146584193_n.jpg

Return it for a refund. They didn't treat it correctly. That's not deteriorating..That's melting/burning mate..

• Like 1

The discoloration is typical of every pipe guard I've had, but not the crack.. and my guard has seen some abuse! My exhaust pipe finally gave up the ghost and cracked by the head, so I'm replacing the stocker with an FMF. My carbon fiber guard even outlasted the pipe itself (granted the guard looks like the pipe feels).

Get with your dealer. If they can't help, get the phone number of the manufacturer and they will almost surely replace it.

Kevlar, with a carbon overlay would be a better material for pipe guards. That guard looks thin to begin with.

The discoloration is typical of every pipe guard I've had, but not the crack.. and my guard has seen some abuse! My exhaust pipe finally gave up the ghost and cracked by the head, so I'm replacing the stocker with an FMF. My carbon fiber guard even outlasted the pipe itself (granted the guard looks like the pipe feels).

Get with your dealer. If they can't help, get the phone number of the manufacturer and they will almost surely replace it.

The color is fine. That happens when you heat up the resin and it cools. The issue is the ultra black (burnt) section that the crack has formed on. That's a sign that the carbon was not manufactured correctly to withstand the tempts it was "designed" for. Only so much protection you can have resin hold upto. But this level of damage is far outside the normal carbon discoloration.

Looking closer. It seems that where you have the bracket attached is also baked pretty dry. I'd remove this before it falls apart any more.

Edited by OkiLiving

Well I called and the man said to send him my address and the picture and he is going to see what he can do for me. As far as the TMD bash plate I like it. I had to do some forming with a blow dryer and bending. It would not fit the frame well whe in stalling and the wing that covers the stator cover was touching. A little heat and forming all is good. Def a good tuff product

That crack could be due to the clamp being too tight. As your exhaust heats up and expands your carbon part might have been holding it back and as a result it cracked. Also all carbon parts that are used in high temperature applications have to be post cured, if they are not post cured properly, they will get all soft and jelly like under high temperatures. So it's probably due to expansion off your pipe.

That's not a crack. That section has been worn or burned through. The surrounding area being black shows it's been hot. And CF doesn't just crack (depending largely on the bias)

• Like 1

Yes it is cooked. The pic looks like it is in contact with the hottest area of the pipe.

It is in contact with the pipe there. When it was new it kinda snapped into place on that part of the pipe. I guess we will see what eline says. If it does not get honored I will run a naked pipe. Which I would hate to do because of all the rocks on the track but if I buy 2 of those that is pretty much a new pipe.