Sign in to follow this  

Start CRF 250R when hot

Hey guys, I'm 15 and a half years old. I just got an '08 Honda CRF 250R. My bike will start on two-three kicks when its cold. However when it is hot, I cant crank it up. I kick my leg off and it just won't start. I was just wondering if anyone had some tips?

Bull5hit! Jet that bike WAY down, and it will start easily. Raise the needle jet clip up to the second groove from the top of the needle. Drop the main jet from a 188 to about 168. Change the pilot jet to a 75, and increase the fuel screw to 2.5 turns out from full in, lightly seated

Thanks, just got the bike. Once it gets started and warms up, it seems to be idling real high. A problem or just the bike?

i have the same problem with my 08 crf250r mine idles high when hot and its hard to start hot. a trick for a hot start is to slowly turn the throttle wide open. If you turn it to fast you will put to much gas into the engine. so turn the throttle wide open slowly then come to compression " or when you hear the click when pushing the kickstart" then give a hard kick. you will hear the bike make a weird sound like its stalling. as soon as you hear the engine start to turn over, let the throttle return to the resting position, and the bike will start right up. It might sound confusing but thats how i get my bike started wether i fell on the track or stalled in the woods. it takes a few trials to get used to but its a great trick once you get the hang of it. good luck they are a pain in the ass to start.

Don't twist the throttle at all when hot starting it. Just pull the hot start lever, get it to the top of the compression stoke, and kick it over hard...

Have you always had this problem with the bike?

I normally twist the throttle, but not wide open, and kick. The slide lets in far more air than the hot start. My pilot jet is a 42 @ 1.5 to 2.25 turns out depending on the weather. Just wicking the throttle also seems to work, but you run the risk of to much squirt from the AP.