Suspension swap out 03 Rm 250

Guys need some info, I think I know the answers but just want to see if anyone out there on this forum has done it basically.... I have been thinking about selling my 2003 that is a low hour machine..... I don't really want to but I really don't need as many bikes as what I have. However out of everything, one of my reasons for thinking about selling it is because of the out dated suspension...

Don't get me wrong, The kyb has its ups and downs, and I get there totally... however when compared to my 06, and how I ride the bike, id much rather have the showa components that will take the hard hits... with that said I have thought about replacing the KYB units with showa forks and shock...

Has anyone out there in the Suzuki world have experience with converting the bike to showa stuff? I know the front end basically you will have to replace the clamps due to different diameter outters, and obviously the forks, However I don't know much about the shock end..... Am I able to take a 03 rm 125 shock which I believe is a showa component and bolt it right up to the 250? and once again, has anyone done it?

Thanks for any input, If I could update the suspension I probably would keep the bike and go on with life, Thanks for any and all input

For the forks,showa fork/clamp will bolt up from RM. As for the shock,see if the 06 shock bolts up. That will let you know what will work. The rm125 valving and spring will be too weak on the 250 in stock form. I wouldn't ditch the kayaba stuff. Once reworked it is pretty good. Race tech and some others had lots of stuff for them. The whole swapping/setup can get expensive and time consuming unless you have spares to try and proven setups.

• 2 weeks later...

The RM250 went back to Showa suspension again in 2004. 2001-2003 were equipped with KYB suspension.

The easiest way to tell is the fork caps.

The showa's are a dual chamber fork, and the kyb's were not.

There's one large 17mm or 19mm nut cast into the fork caps on the KYB's and the showas have a hexed "cap within cap" looking cap on top.

A lot of guys get a newer set of graphics (more modern, and made in an era of newer 04 and up RM's and they come with Showa stickers.

Since the graphics will fit down to 01....well...you get it. Only differences were the number plate holes (01-02) 03 and up slightly different. And fork guards changed a little when Honda style brake routing was adopted by Suzuki.

Anyhow, I have Smart Performance re-valved/ re-sprung kyb's and they're great! Only complaint is getting used to new components and single chamber forks don't like small chop when they're set up to swallow big hits. (Enter the sub-tank era, nobody uses single chamber anymore tho so that tech is dead) but I'm hoping to work the little bugs out and have sub tanks standing by for when that day comes.

If you swap all your stuff, and the shock may be the most difficult swap (check Honda, they also use Showa and could be compatible?? Not sure) you'll find something to hate about them too and STILL need a re-valve after spending $ on just buying them. You're better off modding what you have.

There are tons of reputable shops that can make your kyb's amazing for what you do with your bike.

I have an 03 with showa suspension. The rear shock will bolt right up. You will need the triple trees for the showa forks, and of course the forks. I do believe that I used the 04-08 wheel spacers, brake caliper mount (with 03 caliper on it). I have since swap the bike back to KYB. I ride only MX and my KYB suspension was better for me.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a suspicion that these forks may not be stock. I weigh 195 without gear and when I checked the sag it was 100mm. Not sure on the amount of actual preload but the lock ring is about 1/3 of the way down the threads. Lots of room for adjustment. This is the first bike I've owned that didn't need to be resprung. I'm going to get into these forks and try to muttle through a revalve. My '05 rmz450 had FC revalve (set up for the previous owner) it was like riding on a cloud. Are these kyb's open bath design? DaveJ's threads on isolated damping really inspired me to get my feet wet in the suspension tuning world. Is anyone using these forks for woods racing? If so what have you done to make them soak you the chop? I am considering using racetech stuff, but it seems like just the parts (including gold valves) will cost close to the same as having FC work them over. What am I missing here?

• 4 months later...

soo 2002-2003 RM 250's ran 46mm KYB (46x59x9.5mm) and im in despret need to do an suspension upgrade to my bike and i have a 2002 RM 250 now i know SUZUKI RMZ450 (2005-2012) all ran 47mm Showa (47x58x10mm) do you guys think i can just buy 2010 or 2011 RMZ 450 forks and rear shock and just bolt them on? i mean i know ı would need a same year RMZ steering stem and triple trees but does anyone know anything about this to help me out?

soo 2002-2003 RM 250's ran 46mm KYB (46x59x9.5mm) and im in despret need to do an suspension upgrade to my bike and i have a 2002 RM 250 now i know SUZUKI RMZ450 (2005-2012) all ran 47mm Showa (47x58x10mm) do you guys think i can just buy 2010 or 2011 RMZ 450 forks and rear shock and just bolt them on? i mean i know ı would need a same year RMZ steering stem and triple trees but does anyone know anything about this to help me out?

Think you would need a new front wheel as well for different axle sizes, possibly issues with shock and linkage. Then the suspension would be way off and need to be re sprung and valved. A big losing proposition IMO.

What don't you like about your 02 suspension? I put 02 forks on my 03 and love them, I'd say my favorite forks of all time.

The KYB is quality stuff, no reason you can't have them tuned to what ever you want.

Think you would need a new front wheel as well for different axle sizes, possibly issues with shock and linkage. Then the suspension would be way off and need to be re sprung and valved. A big losing proposition IMO.

What don't you like about your 02 suspension? I put 02 forks on my 03 and love them, I'd say my favorite forks of all time.

The KYB is quality stuff, no reason you can't have them tuned to what ever you want.

well my plan is, i found a barely used 2011 RMZ 250 showa rear sock and from the same bike a complete front end, now i know its going to need some valve and bearing adjustments but if im not mistaken the forks are SFF which i just love the feeling of and besides i just wanted to have a better feel to the bike with more up gradable suspension, i will try it out soon and defiantly will let you guys know how it fits.   

• 1 year later...