Sign in to follow this  

Calling all (2013 KTM 500 EXC owners) !

Thinking of buying a leftover 2013 KTM 500 EXC (NEW) Only thing that has me worried is I understand some owners have had issues with blue smoke coming out the exhaust. (oil getting by the rings)

Any 2013 owners that can give an update on this issue and how many hours you now have? From what I have read, some are saying it takes 25-30 for the rings to seat and stop smoking but I don't want to spend that kind of money on a new bike and have it blow blue smoke out the pipe for 25 hours of engine time.

These bikes are beyond sweet. Spent half a day on a new well set up 500exc a few months ago and it was a good step better than my 09 530exc. Well worth the money.

Don't sweat a little smoke. Go get it and ride it. Two weekends and it all broken in. Get over it.

From what I understood it has to do with running a certain "break in" oil for the first hour or two..... (maybe I understood wrong?). That being said, I have a 2012 model with over 200hrs on the motor. My bike has been used quite hard too and hasn't missed a beat!

I'm waiting for a 14 and am hearing they will be here next month.

From what I understood it has to do with running a certain "break in" oil for the first hour or two..... (maybe I understood wrong?). That being said, I have a 2012 model with over 200hrs on the motor. My bike has been used quite hard too and hasn't missed a beat!

Ditto for me. I just run plain old Rotella.

I ran the factory oil for 5 hours before switching to Rotella and have never had the smoking problem on my 13. I belive I'm at about 60 hours now and changing out the Rotella every 10 hours.

Never had any issue with my 2012, same motor. Broke it in with conventional oil and switched over to Rotella full syn around 250 miles or so, it will smoke a slight bit if I over oil when installing a new air filter but that is normal for any bike when first started.

Oil level is always spot on when checked or changed, I would not hesistant buying the 13 if you can get a good deal.

Well the dealer had one 2013 left on the floor. As much as I wanted it, I decided to wait for the 2014. They should be coming soon. I read that KTM changed the piston and rings for 2014 and its 6 lbs lighter. Don't know where they lost the 6 lbs but this is a good thing!

Edited by Lowpro
  • Like 1

Well the dealer had one 2013 left on the floor. As much as I wanted it, I decided to wait for the 2014. They should be coming soon. I read that KTM changed the piston and rings for 2014 and its 6 lbs lighter. Don't know where they lost the 6 lbs but this is a good thing!

Nothing wrong with the 13' but I think you made the right decision. A month out for some decent updates and almost the same price.

Nothing wrong with the 13' but I think you made the right decision. A month out for some decent updates and almost the same price.

I was told one of my local shops ordered them yesterday so it should be a few more weeks. :ride:

If the '13 was even only $200 cheaper I'd get it. The '12 and '13 are excellent bikes and I can assure you that you'll be happy. :banana: Already there's 500's with 400+ hours on them so I don't think a different piston and rings are going to be a big deal.

I'd almost be worried where they took another 6 lbs off.

My 2013 350exc.same motor...has almost 30 hrs no smoke ever.Changed the oil at 6hrs then 18 hrs. I did get a new battery covered under warranty, I was having a issue when it was cold not wanting to e-start..That fixed the prob..Otherwise amazing machine!!

I don't think the 350 EXC had issues with oil burning when cold. It was just some of the 500 bikes. If you google 2013 KTM 500 EXC smoking you will find many topics and owners complaining about the cold start smoking problem.

Edited by Lowpro

I heard that the MSRP went up $200 from a local dealer. I haven't confirmed it yet with other shops, but that's a shame. So if that's true, they will be $10,099. Dirt bikes are getting expensive!!!! lol I'm still getting one though. 👍

I heard that the MSRP went up $200 from a local dealer. I haven't confirmed it yet with other shops, but that's a shame. So if that's true, they will be $10,099. Dirt bikes are getting expensive!!!! lol I'm still getting one though. 👍

That's why they can keep raising prices, somebody will buy.

• Like 1

That's why they can keep raising prices, somebody will buy.

Well every year prices go up, not just on dirt bikes, but everything. But I know they raised it because if people were throwing their money at KTM for the 2012/2013's, people will pay $200 more for the new model.