Sign in to follow this  

Damaged Stator- Help

Well after attempting to start my bike for the first time since spending 8 months restoring the entire bike I realized I have a no spark issue. After testing everything I decided to pull the flywheel back off and check the stator. Sure enough I somehow damaged the windings on two of the poles. Well more specifically there are about 3-4 wires broken on one pole and the material that covers the windings on the second pole is pulled back a little bit. I am guessing the bare wires are grounding out on the nubs inside the flywheel that caused the damage in the first place. I am so bummed and upset with myself. I have been very careful on every part of the bike except this obviously. I am guessing that the flywheel wasn't completely seated on the keyway and when I started to tighten down the nut the flywheel spun a bit. Does this sound like a reasonable hypothesis to anyone else? So the real question is... Is there anyway this can be fixed or repaired at home by me or am I looking at buying a new stator? I do have a picture that I will post as soon as I can. I am pretty challenged when it comes to electrical stuff. I guess if I have to buy a new stator that this would be the time to look for a high output one to run lights. Does anyone know of a good one? I have read bad reviews on the electrosport models. And lastly if this one cannot be repaired does anyone have one they can sell? Was hoping to go riding this weekend. Bike is an 06 cr250.

E8273926-EF7D-49FE-81A3-84F6BBACA6CA-2799-0000032D20D63CC9.jpg

Here is the picture. Actually I was mistaken it appears that there is a 3rd pole that started to get buggered up as well. There's no way a little electrical tape would fix all of that is there? Haha

Been there done that, not that I'm admitting to it LOL. What did you use to hold the flywheel. Maybee the prongs/pins in your tool were too long and contacted it and mushed it up. Not that I've ever ever done that!!!!

I got a used one from a local wrecker for 100 bucks. Errrr..ahhh, I mean my friend did.

You could rewind it. 200 winds on each pole x 8 poles (my friend counted them) I think that's what he said. THats a lot of beer! get grandma to do it if she likes knitting. Its kinda the same thing. My "friend" told me the wire was 4 bucks and the epoxy was about 20, from lots of electronics stores. My "friend" is a cheap Bstrd, and even he figured it was not worth the trouble and risk of failure and loosing 30 bucks. As far as electrosport, heard the same thing. May be purists talking??? and they may not last too long. Funny thing is my "friend" the one in the story here, his stator was an electro sport LOL

Edited by bikedad1

That sucks I feel your pain. A new stator is a bit over $120 just bite the bullet and buy one...

That's the weird thing I didn't use any tool to hold the flywheel while tightening the nut. I have one of those slick engine lock up tools that I bought from steahly when I got my flywheel weight. I'm going to call up Ricky stator later on today and see what they have available. I have found some on eBay that "look" nice. I'm not sure if an oem stator with the plate and everything is better or the aftermarket unit from Ricky stator that I put on my stock plate. I have thought about putting a light kit on te bike and possibly trying to make it street legal for riding to trails. I guess this is probably as good of a time as any. As far as me winding it myself I agree with you bikedad, I'd probably just be wasting 30 bucks and my time. I wonder if any shop locally would be able to rewind it and if that would be a solid repair. I'm still really disappointed in myself and don't know how I did this.

I asked a local guy here and he told me 7-hrs labour No joke... My dog could do it in 7-hrs! I did find out there are winding shops and the wire used is called magnet wire. . Now I'm really stumped! As far as I know, the Key does not determine the in/out position of the flywheel, its the shoulder on the crank and the taper of the flywheel bore. Did you put in a new crank? I read a post here somewhere where a guy couldn't get his right crank seal to seal, and the primary gear and collar did not fit in the correct position Ie against the seal. It was becuase the wiesco crank he put in had been machined wrong. Wiesco said it was and issue they had occasionally and replaced his crank. Should have paid him 1000 bucks to for the hours and hours he wasted chasing the leaking seal, then having to resplit the cases again.

All I can think of is to find some thing like silly putty or clay, and press it into the damaged windings or use a thin layer inside the flywheel and reinstall and see if it you get an impression??? either the stator assembly is too high, or the the fly wheel sits too low on the crank. Sorry I'm out of Ideas. When I saw your post I thought at least there was someone else on the plannet that was as dumb as me er.. my friend. LOL Looks like perhaps not.

Edited by bikedad1

Had that happen when putting together my buddies 01 cr250. First he put the fly wheel on and it had a small washer stuck on the inside of the flywheel. As soon as we started the bike it ate the stator. Then we bought a used stator off ebay. He put it on when i was at work. Instead of using the engine lock-up tool i gave him he stuck a punch in the hole on the flywheel to hold it to tighten up the nut. He went too deep and thrashed a second stator!!!! Unbelievable! The second stator came from a tt member. It was just the stator itself so we had to wire it up. I personally wouldn't try and repair one.

Edited by rodgini

Man you have me worried I messed up something with the crank. I did put new bearings in it but the oem crank was still fine. The cases went back together fine and I did not notice any issues with the primary gear or seals. I will have to have a closer look tonight. You would think that if the shaft of the crank were not in far enough that the stator would be chewed up on all of the poles not just on that one side. I am hoping that I just had the flywheel on a bit crooked when I started to tighten down the nut on the outside and that is what damaged it. Damn you bikedad now I have to think about that the rest of the day until I get home! Has anyone had any issues with the Ricky stator windings? It appears that they don't sell the plate and all for my bike and I would have to install their unit onto my existing plate. Any issues with that? I did find a stator from an 04 on eBay for 65 bucks. It "looks" decent. As far as I know the 02-07 are all the same. The rest of the people seem to be asking anywhere from 100-130 for a used stator assembly.

Sorry about that. I was just referring the the possibility of Wiesco crank quality control issues. Your OEM. I have no Idea if its possible to not get the bearings on an OEM Crank properly, such that they will screw up the flywheel position. It is the correcty Flywheel right? The stator plate is not hung up (washers behind it) or what ever. The flywheel and stator matched for the bike right, and worked together properly before? I'm now out of my depth here since I can't imagine what it would be, other than a "special" tool or something magnetic stuck to the inside like rodgini said. Like your post said...Stator Damage HELP. Lets hope we see some other ideas up here quick. I do know that its typical to install Thirdparty windings on your plate. I had a 2000 that had a plate and electrosport windings installed.

Where are the bolts to hold the stator on in your picture? Did you forget to install them to hold the stator tight to the case?

Its interesting, because the flywheel rotates counter clockwise and it looks like the pole on the winding at 3-oclock is chewed deeper on the opposite side of the pole, from where the spinning wheel would tend to first make contact. Is that correct. Is there any asymmetry to the damage on each pole? certainly there is to the damage over all.

Edited by bikedad1

I took the picture after everything was removed. The stator is just hanging there. Yeah all matched set exactly how it came out before. I'm sure I just did something stupid in a hurry one day for some reason. I will know for sure tomorrow if I have a bigger issue. I have a used one coming. Going to install everything and very very carefully rotate the flywheel then take it back off and look for any sign on rubbing. I think that if something were really out of whack that all the poles would look like that and not just one side. Live and learn I guess. Just dropped my suspension off a pro action to get bent over on a revalve and respring. Cannot wait until this bike is done for two reasons. One to ride it and the other to actually see a positive figure in my bank account again.

I started buying bikes a while back, building them up with elbow grease and a bit of cash and reselling. On number 11 now in 5 months, and I tripled my money. Ebay and Rockmountain make the difference. Plus in Canada bikes are worth a bit more. Point is if you like wrenching, watch the local classifieds be fast with cash and bargain hard. Just picked up a 2003 KX125 guy wanted 2400 walked it away with 1750 and got two brand new tires that were included. Turn your passion into cash. I think I'm making at least 10 bucks an hour now LOL. I look hard at these bikes and still miss so many things. But I am leaning (and forgetting) pretty fast!

If I had a dollar for every stupid thing I did during fixing I would have a much better profit margin. Ya live and learn (and forget)!

Edited by bikedad1

Well I decided to let everyone know the outcome of mistake since no one ever reports back afterwards. Got the new to me stator in yesterday. It's off an 04 and I paid 65 bucks shipped to my door. After five minutes of cleaning it up and inspecting it I decided to give it a shot. Mounted stator and then carefully put flywheel on and spun it around slowly. Took flywheel back off to look for any signs of rubbing and it looked good so I reinstalled flywheel and torqued it down. Again spun flywheel slowly while using a light to see inside the holes inspecting for rubbing again. Ok ok enough of the play by play. Hooked everything up and turned the gas on, choke up, primed carb. Didn't even check for spark first because I wanted to be suprised. First kick my foot slipped a bit and then on the second the beast came roaring to life. What a great feeling to see all the hard work finally pay off after 8 months. I get the suspension back next Tuesday or Wednesday and then have a couple nights to work any bugs out before hitting the trials next weekend. I can't wait. Thanks everyone for your input

• Like 2