Sign in to follow this  

Paint missing or thin normal?

Hi all,

Is it normal that a new steel-frame bike needs a bit of touch-up paint right out of the box?

Whilst doing the initial swingarm maintenance on a 2013 DRZ, I spotted some normally non-visible areas of the frame having missing or thin paint. Besides the missing and flaky paint under and around both sides where the the shock-linkage-to-frame nut and bolt sits, the weld seams inside that linkage mount bracket had very thin paint such that a narrow strip of metal was slightly exposed as shown below.

swingarm_mount2.jpg

This condition was approximately the same on the other side of the linkage bracket.

Similarly and opposite from the above view on the rear brake master cylinder bracket, the backside weld seams of where the master cylinder bracket meets the frame also had a narrow strip of slightly exposed metal with thin paint.

I'm glad I was able to address this early before oxidation really set in.

I would like to know if anyone has noticed any other paint-problem areas that I haven't yet, so I can also get them properly coated.

Thanks for your input.

Edited by MotoZen

Craigo I guess that's an option, but what are they going to do, give him a new bike? I would just touch it up and go on with my life... to me it seems like normal overspray or lack thereof when painting a part with many crevices. Should have it been caught by QA, yes. However in real use it won't be long before the frame gets some nicks/paint rubbed off and you'll get some surface rust... no big deal.

Does it suck yes... is it the end of the world no lol havent noticed any bad spots on mine but i plan on doing abunch of maintenance this winter and the swingarm is on the list... good to see this i will keep an eye out for it... rattle can that bitch and get out there and ride!

If your dealer is close by then I'd let them know/inspect so they can organise getting you a good sized tin of touch up paint FOC (courtesy of Suzuki), it will come in handy in the future.

I gave up doing mine as each ride takes away the rust from the last wash, but then my frame gets beating regularly.

Craigo I guess that's an option, but what are they going to do, give him a new bike? I would just touch it up and go on with my life... to me it seems like normal overspray or lack thereof when painting a part with many crevices. Should have it been caught by QA, yes. However in real use it won't be long before the frame gets some nicks/paint rubbed off and you'll get some surface rust... no big deal.

If no one tells them , no one knows and the problem won't have a chance of being corrected at "grassroots" level.....If you buy a new item it should be unblemished, unless you're at a discount 2nd's sale....

It's irrelevant what you're going to do when you ride it out the door..

Let the dealer be the one to find the touch up paint and patch it.... 😛

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

Let the dealer be the one to find the touch up paint and patch it.... 😛

Assuming the dealer takes the bike in the door at all, and that is a big assumption..

Suzuki does not market or sell "touch up paint" so no way for the dealer to order it, or request it from the manufacturer.

At best the dealer on his own or at the direction of a regional rep, is going to send the shoprunner or janitor out to the closest auto parts store or shopping center to get a can of black spray paint... then someone will reach under and spray some black gloss paint on that back gloss frame.. and it will be "fixed"

The dealer is not going to get you a new frame under warranty unless there is more wrong than some paint work.

The dealer is not going to disassemble the bike, clean and degrease the area, sand, soda blast or otherwise prep the area to be painted, mask off the area and shoot it with a auto quality paint then cure it bake room or lights.

By all means run it by the shop and see what they say, if for nothing else to get it on record, should the worst happen and the suspension mount tabs fall off due to a poor weld.

• Like 1

disassemble the bike, clean and degrease the area, sand, soda blast or otherwise prep the area to be painted, mask off the area and shoot it with a auto quality paint then cure it bake room or lights.

Good advice, so... ...while the area was already disassembled, I took some initiative to just do it. At about 300 miles the bike had only dust on it and nothing to really clean, since Suzuki doesn't do a good job of greasing those areas anyway. Without notable oxidation yet, further surface prep was also easy using some fine sandpaper and alcohol. Everything else stayed in place except the rear brake reservoir to make room for a decent spray angle. Some cardboard and tape masked surrounding components from over spray of the gloss black VHT paint, which seemed to match OEM paint pretty well under the florescent light I was using. After three coats, I let it sit for a couple days before reassembly. Now it's all good - I was never planning on help from the dealer.

My goals here are to:

1. Find out if other DRZites have experienced this issue, which so far sounds like "no"
  2. Alert the community to this potential issue
  3. As well as find out if there are other areas needing addressed that I may have missed on my initial new-bike inspection

If there are no other areas of thin or missing paint, then it's a done deal.

Thanks